1977 Miller Meteor ambulance

Bill Marcy

PCS Member
As you may know, I bought a 77 combo limo-style. I thought I would leave it as a combo, but the guy before me started to make it an ambulance. I am not much into altering a car, but since it was already started and since my wife wants it dressed as an ambulance, I am leaning in that direction.

I can hear some of you groaning already. But, I was wondering, are there any pictures of a 77 lowtop ambulance out there? What would be proper lighting? Siren? Window treatment/curtains/signage? What would be inside?

Any pictures and advice would be greatly appreciated.

The newest lowtop ambulances I know of are a 1974 C/B and a 1973 M-M. There were no domestic downsize lowtops built, although Superior built some for export.

To convert your car - a downsized combination that is fairly rare to start with - into something that was never engineered, offered, or built will be mostly guesswork and "owner's choice."

What modifications were done by the previous owner?

When I talked with one of the MM workers, unfortunately I did not get his name, at the last MM reunion he told me that in fact there was one domestic and one for export downsized straight ambulances built. The domestic was for a ambulance service in California, he could not remember its name. Basically the only difference between an ambulance and the combinations was that the ambulance did not have rollers in the floor and the cabinet in the back was different. So the previous owner, i.e. me, had to finish the floor, when I did I just did not put the rollers back. For those that may be concerned, I had to redo the floor as it was damaged by the person that was supposed to have been refurbishing the car a long and upsetting story that I will not get into here. I will just say that he should have been a butcher and not in the car repair business.

I would use a 184 beacon in the middle, and 4 Ful View lights... one in each corner, with a C6BR siren mounted forward of the beacon on the front of the roof. It will look like it came from the factory that way!

Hello Bill: Since you brought it up -- I must share that when I initially saw the photo in the other post, the first thing that crossed my mind was to imagine how it might look, if marked and equipped as a straight ambulance from back in the day. A fantasy creation of course, but definitely a fun "what if ?".

Steve's point is succinct and well-taken. I also value originality, as my 1977 Lifeliner is 100% so. On the other hand, my 1968 M-M is a white Duplex combination. A previous owner added the Ful-Vue lights and spotlights. I liked and bought it for its ambulance appearance, then added the window decals. I removed (and saved) the draperies to emphasize that long, open limousine look.

So you'll hear no groaning from me should you create a tasteful, "retro", downsized, lowtop M-M ambulance. (BTW, what color is the interior?) Warren

Ful-Vues were still listed in the 1977 Miller-Meteor dealers binder as optional and available equipment for ambulances and combination's.

Although not a M-M, here is a shot of Chief Ron's former 1977 Superior Soverign combo that may give you some styling ideas...

3538129086_191f69a6b2_b.jpg

Hello Bill: Since you brought it up -- I must share that when I initially saw the photo in the other post, the first thing that crossed my mind was to imagine how it might look, if marked and equipped as a straight ambulance from back in the day. A fantasy creation of course, but definitely a fun "what if ?".

Steve's point is succinct and well-taken. I also value originality, as my 1977 Lifeliner is 100% so. On the other hand, my 1968 M-M is a white Duplex combination. A previous owner added the Ful-Vue lights and spotlights. I liked and bought it for its ambulance appearance, then added the window decals. I removed (and saved) the draperies to emphasize that long, open limousine look.

So you'll hear no groaning from me should you create a tasteful, "retro", downsized, lowtop M-M ambulance. (BTW, what color is the interior?) Warren

Thanks Warren! I miss my 1978 Lifeliner and I really wanted another, but a lowtop would be kinda nice. I would definately keep it tasteful. The interior is tan in the front and maroon in the rear.

I would use a 184 beacon in the middle, and 4 Ful View lights... one in each corner, with a C6BR siren mounted forward of the beacon on the front of the roof. It will look like it came from the factory that way!

Sounds nice Paul, I like it. Thanks for the offer, when will the stuff arrive?

Back