Roof Ventilator

Mike Owens

PCS Member
It appears the roof ventilator of my 1970 Superior Rescuer has a rubber skirt type of seal with pieces missing. Is that something that is available somewhere in white to replace the whole thing?

If you are referring to the top cover that is painted, there should be no seal around the edge of it, and it should sit about an inch above the roof panel. If there presently is some sort of seal on the outer edge of it, then it must have been added somewhere along the line by one of its previous owners.
The fan itself is mounted to the roof with a sealant between the fan housing and the metal roof. This part resembles a "chimney" since it is about 6 inches high, and is designed to keep water and snow from intruding into the passenger compartment.

picture.php

The deteriorated rubber between the ventilator and the roof of the car is what I was referring to...

I have to admit that I have never seen rubber around the lower lip of that ventilator cover before. I wonder if it was something that was added by a previous owner, or something that came as an option to the ventilator.

I would say that, based on the rust around the hood base, it's time to pitch that vent and buy a new one! That is definitely not a good design with that exposed gasket as it would, naturally, fill with water which would stand there and rot out the hood over time.

it was added to it, then later painted over. looks like some skirt rubber. now me I hate that raw edge so I ran some of that plastic door edge guard around it. it's hard to tell if that would cover the edge or not. a run threw the bead blaster cabinet would clean it up a lot. then you could trim off a 1/4 inch and put it back on.

Just Opened

This is the picture of the complete unit as it came from the factory. No white trim in mine when I replaced it on the Pontiac.

Attachments

• IMG_2179.jpg
    IMG_2179.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 71
never any trim on the cap. as I stated I like to do a finished edge on mine and apparently some one else do also. that still looks like beacon skirt gasket to me. as the louvers are open and the lip is raised there is no need for it other then appearance. in fact if you think about it if you sealed the cap agents the top were is the water coming in the louvers going to get out except down the hatch.

Throw it out and install a new one. You will have more that $90 invested in time just trying to fix up this rusty vent. If you only want to replace your badly rusted hood, I have a used hood that I would sell you for $20 plus shipping.

Mike,
It appears that your hood is missing its "air deflector"(which sticks up toward the front of the hood) as well. Correct me if my terminology is incorrect.

B&M Siren recommended vendor

I bought a complete replacement for my '73 Lifeliner from Kevin. Excellent service and a good product.

Never hurts to have a few spare pieces even if you don't need them right now.

Back