Trans Cooler 49 Buick

Again it is time to ask the experts. The mechanic that rebuilt the transmission for my 49 Flxible Buick project recommends against reusing the original transmission cooler. Internet searches for a NOS or repro unit have yielded no results. Suggestions please??

if he does not think the cooler would be enough protection the normal cure is one of the aftermarket place in line. if i recall correctly it would go from the transmission to the add on cooler then threw the radiator cooler back to the transmission any on of the parts houses should have one.

The current cooler bolts up to the transmission with two heater hoses running to the water pump. There is no radiator based heat exchanger as in more modern vehicles. Hoping to keep things stock and avoid running trans oil lines to the front of the engine where an aftermarket cooler would mount in front of the radiator. This was a common part on the Buick Straight 8s so hopefully someone has a line on a NOS or repro part.

49 Buick Trans Cooler

Again it is time to ask the experts. The mechanic that rebuilt the transmission for my 49 Flxible Buick project recommends against reusing the original transmission cooler. Internet searches for a NOS or repro unit have yielded no results. Suggestions please?? I have attached px of the cooler

Attachments

• Buickl Trans Cooler 2.jpg
    Buickl Trans Cooler 2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Buick - Trans Cooler 1.jpg
    Buick - Trans Cooler 1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 142
Do both coolant and tranny juice flow thru that heat exchanger or does it just bolt to the tranny and rely on conductivity between exchanger & tranny case?

now I take it it doesn't' leak or have a cross contamination problem? if so replace it with the same thing makes no since. I would touch base with him again to be sure but I would guess that he felt a larger aftermarkets would be better. but as long as this one works and you want to remain factory use it.

I would clean it by soaking it in lacquer thinner for a few days, and then blow it out with compressed air (low pressure). If it comes clean with the first soaking, great. If not, then put it back into the thinner, and let it soak more, until the insides are clean. Then pressure test it with low pressure for leaks. You can extend the in and out lines with rubber hose and pinch off one hose. Lightly pressure the container, and put it into a pail of water. If you see bubbles, then it is defective. If not, then it is good to go back into the car.

I truly do want to stay original with his car and am going to make all efforts to reuse or replace as is. Am thinking that a competent radiator shop would be able to flush and leak test just as they would an internal cooler in a more modern vehicle. Won't hurt to run it by and ask. Funny, as a regular Buick part I really didn't think finding one would be that difficult and am not yet done exploring possibilities.

Back