Windshield Wiper Motor

Had my wipers seize up yesterday in my 68 Caddy. Before I start crawling around I figure you all would have advice as to where to look first, already checked the fuse.

If you can move the arms, it is the motor that has died, in all probability. If the arms can be moved, the linkage has fallen off the motor. There are 3 screws that hold it to the firewall, and 2 screws that clamp the linkage to the motor. If you need the motor repaired, check the recommended vendors forum. Don't attempt to take it apart yourself, since it is full of small pieces, and it is difficult to know where they all go once it is apart. The motor and washer are the same for a number of years, so you might be able to find a salvage yard unit. It costs about $200 to have it completely rebuilt. Stay away from the auto parts store rebuilds, since most often they are of poor quality, and expensive as well.

The motor is in the engine compartment, to the right of the brake booster, and behind the hood hinge. Mine quit on me on the way to a car show right after I got my car. An extra one (non-working) was included in my purchase of the car. I took my car to the garage and a tech there rebuilt mine (with the help of my shop manual) using the two to make one good one. Has worked just fine for the last four years.

In the picture here, you can see the wiper motor slightly behind the hood hinge, with the black "box" on the front--thats the washer pump. Hope this helps you out.

Attachments

• MR6 007.jpg
    MR6 007.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 76
In the time it took me to write my post, you posted that you found it. Oh well, it made me look through some old pictures, which was fun. Hope you get it fixed easily :D

Back