70 Superior Rescuer Question

Went to the body/paint shop this morning with the 70.....

To REPAIR the 2 front fenders,including cutting out the old,welding in new panel,prep for paint I was quoted 8 hours labor on passenger side and 6 hours labor on the driver side......14hrs @ $80.00=$1120.00

To REPLACE the fenders would be 2@$500=$1000.00 plus 2 hours($80.00hr) to remove and replace for a total of $1160.00.

I am still awaiting his e-mail with the rest of the quote for body and paint.......

Please let me know if this sounds about right.....

Thanks all !!

The quote for removing and replacing the fenders in my opinion is under quoted. I don't believe the body shop knows what they are in for, Removing and replacing the two fenders on a 1970 Cadillac that came from a non desert climate. On the other hand the body shop has way over quoted on the rust repair. The establishment you went to is not to interested in doing rust repair and obviosly blinded by the thought of an suposed "easy" fender replacement. I would say, move on to a more intersted and more importantly, a more knowledgable repair person . To me, this is a anti-rust repair shop. In your area I will bet the there are more anti-rust shops than rust repair shops, However I'm sure if you shop around you find the right place.

The quote for removing and replacing the fenders in my opinion is under quoted. I don't believe the body shop knows what they are in for, Removing and replacing the two fenders on a 1970 Cadillac that came from a non desert climate. On the other hand the body shop has way over quoted on the rust repair. The establishment you went to is not to interested in doing rust repair and obviosly blinded by the thought of an suposed "easy" fender replacement. I would say, move on to a more intersted and more importantly, a more knowledgable repair person . To me, this is a anti-rust repair shop. In your area I will bet the there are more anti-rust shops than rust repair shops, However I'm sure if you shop around you find the right place.

Thank you Bruce for your input......
I believe they gave me the quote based upon them doing the rest of the body and paint.....they are one of the premier body shops left in the area that even cares to do restoration work...most just want to do the insurance jobs.
I have checked with "hot rod" shops and they are not interested or the quote is very high.....
Actually they prefer to do the repair.....since the only pair of fenders that I have found are $550 each......and then you still have labor to R+R....
So,I still plan to get a few more quotes before sending it to Ed :D

Ouch...

Ok guys....here is the first estimate....

BODY
Repair rust L+R front fenders 14hrs @80.00 =1120.00
Repair dings dents on lower body 16hrs =1280.00
Subtotal 2400.00

PAINT
Strip checked paint off lower body to bare metal 16hrs =1280.00
Prime and block repairs only 16hrs =1280.00
Prep/paint red/white two tone single stage urethane 12hrs=960.00
Light color sand and 3 step polish 16hrs=1280.00
Subtotal 4800.00

Materials depending on quality..............................1000.00

Subtotal 8200.00
Tax 80.00
Total $8280.00

Thoughts ??

Are they including the roof?

Yes,they are including the roof.....HOWEVER I will be responsible for removing most if not all the trim on the entire ambulance and then again reinstalling......or at least as much as I want to remove...
He did not want to get into re-installing since clips etc are so difficult to aquire......basically he is leaving me with that worry(chore)...:confused:

so are they doing the door jams also? they are most likely not that far off the mark. at 8 grand for the complete. the you take off and put back on the trim is there send you down the road trick. so then you send the trim out to be polished and the bumpers plated and you will get another 5 in the car. but to be honest with you, if I had to R&R the trim my self and the car is as straight as it looks. I would have the rust repair made with some one that was going to weld in a patch. then pull the trim/bumpers ect drop the car off at MaCo let them strip and paint it for around 3G. if you got to do all the hard work why let them make the gravy

but to compare prices I can get you a compete front clip for that car for around 11 hundred.

Door jambs ?? I am assuming not.....but I would have to have those done...
He did say a "complete" would run $9000-$10500.......and thats with him doing ALL the work...trim etc......

looking back I guess the frame off resto on my 60 Impala at $8500 was a bargain.....and that was only in 2008.......

Ok guys....here is the first estimate....

BODY
Repair rust L+R front fenders 14hrs @80.00 =1120.00
Repair dings dents on lower body 16hrs =1280.00
Subtotal 2400.00

PAINT
Strip checked paint off lower body to bare metal 16hrs =1280.00
Prime and block repairs only 16hrs =1280.00
Prep/paint red/white two tone single stage urethane 12hrs=960.00
Light color sand and 3 step polish 16hrs=1280.00
Subtotal 4800.00

Materials depending on quality..............................1000.00

Subtotal 8200.00
Tax 80.00
Total $8280.00

Thoughts ??

I love the way they pad the ticket. every one will juggle the figures some
16 hr to do the ding repairs then another 16 to prime and block. so it 32 hr to do the ding repairs because priming and blocking are part of that repair.

then 16 hr to strip the old lacquer off but they never prime and block the body?

but really it's the final figure and there way of getting to it. 8 if you take the trim off 10 if they do it. when I was writing them I would always use the refinish as necessary clause.

but the truth is there is a lot of difference in restoring one and repainting one. if it's a clean up your looking for you need to balance money and needs.

Update

Well finally had some luck in finding a shop......

My wife works in PICU and she was having a conversation with a Medi-Flight crew that had just brought in a baby....they got on the subject of vintage ambulances and one of the guys gave her a card of a "paint-body" guy...who has expierence with vintage Cadillac ambulances.....Hmmmmm

I called him yesterday and we met this morning at his local shop.....as it turns out he painted both vintage Cadillacs that are IN SERVICE at The Twins' Bill and Dave Bockholt Bayshore Ambulance http://www.bayshoreambulance.com.....one of their rigs came from Buffalo NY (Memorial Ambulance) and the other from St Helena Calif....

He was kind of excited to be doing another ambulance since it has been years since he did The TWINS 2 Cads....

He quoted me a very fair and reasonable price......all the same services as posted previous and a few additional services.....:)

It goes into his shop on April 8th....now just to decide which red it will be.....

Back