Real Life Ambulance Scene Pictures

Nice to see the CA Ambulances from Palo Alto and Silva having proper "BE" (CA State Board of Equalization License Plates) prefixed with X, Y, or W before the number...... that meant that they were properly registered "for hire" units paying a small share of their revenue to the poor old State of CA. (*) Public Agency Rigs would of had EXEMPT (E-Plates)...with a hexagon around an "E" for City-County Vehicles and a Diamond around an "E" for State Rigs. THANKS to all of you for posting these great old pictures! MM

My 1969 still has the original y plate on it.

kind of hard to argue with the man that was there when they were built. if Memphis had the contract in 63 then they built them to the government specks. same as all the WWII jeeps that were built by GM, Ford, Henny and Willies. some interesting myths get busted. there is a man that claims he has the car and that it's a superior. me it's kind of like the gostbusters movie car

Attachments

• JFK 1963-11-22 03 JFK ariving Andrews AFB.jpg
    JFK 1963-11-22 03 JFK ariving Andrews AFB.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,389
I was told that after the Ambulance picked up President Kennedy it was destroyed at the request of Jackie Kennedy.

Jack Pinner
Pinner Coach Company
1958-1971

I'm not questioning if this indeed happened, but I must say that I am puzzled to as WHY Mrs. Kennedy would even think of requesting something like this??!!! I mean she just lost her Husband tragically while she was there, I would expect millions of emotions and thoughts that would be a result but having a car destroyed just doesn't seem like something that would even be a consideration??!! does anyone have more info about this particular action??!!
thought it so I just thought I would ask!!
Thanks!
Dana Bennett
Forestville, NY

I'm not questioning if this indeed happened, but I must say that I am puzzled to as WHY Mrs. Kennedy would even think of requesting something like this??!!! I mean she just lost her Husband tragically while she was there, I would expect millions of emotions and thoughts that would be a result but having a car destroyed just doesn't seem like something that would even be a consideration??!! does anyone have more info about this particular action??!!
thought it so I just thought I would ask!!
Thanks!
Dana Bennett
Forestville, NY

It has been widely reported that this was her request, however, we will never know for certain if it were. Also, we have no idea when the request was made. It could have been made in a way such as saying "When the car is taken out of service, please don't sell it, but make sure that it is destroyed." It also might have been at the request of Robert or Ted Kennedy because they were knowledgeable of what happened with Lee Harvey Oswald's possessions after his death. More questions than answers, when you consider all the possibilities..

The story I always heard was that it was Bobby Kennedy's request so the car wouldn't end up at county fairs, and be auctioned off... When I was a kid, someone had Hitler's limousine paraded around and folks paid to see it...

Government Spec'd (Nearly) Identicals

kind of hard to argue with the man that was there when they were built. if Memphis had the contract in 63 then they built them to the government specks. same as all the WWII jeeps that were built by GM, Ford, Henny and Willies. some interesting myths get busted. there is a man that claims he has the car and that it's a superior. me it's kind of like the gostbusters movie car

Other examples of Government Spec'd (nearly) indentical units are the 1,313 REO Chassis (Fed) Civil Defense Trucks that the bodies were made and mounted by Boyertown and Swift. So close that Boyertown (unknowingly) had a SWIFT Unit (with the original ID tags missing) restored by their Museum. When I brought out the very subtle differences to the Boyertown Currator he wanted to do a quick trade with our REAL and completely equipped 1954 Boyertown-REO assigned new to Monterey County in CA. to save face if it was ever discovered. Another example here in CA are the 100+ 1953-1954 GMC Chassised California Disaster Office (Later the CA Governor's Office of Emergency Serevices (CA-OES) and Now "CAL-EMA" to be in tune with all the Homeland Security hype and grants. Approximately 1/2 had bodies from CA Based "Van-Pelt" and the remaining ones were by bodied by "American-LaFrance", also with very subtle differences on government spec's. The CDF... now (CAL FIRE) and the USFS still use their own numbered and spec'd body models placed on low bidder chassis'. MM

Olsen damaged and Mayo Clinic ambulances

All of these photos seem to have migrated to this web site from a collection of photos I shared with a small distribution group. Curious how they showed up here.

And no, the interior of the Mayo ambulance is not of the Henney, it is of a Superior Cadillac for the record.

Roger D White MD

All of these photos seem to have migrated to this web site from a collection of photos I shared with a small distribution group. Curious how they showed up here.

And no, the interior of the Mayo ambulance is not of the Henney, it is of a Superior Cadillac for the record.

Roger D White MD

I cannot police the ownership of any of the photos, however, if you advise me of those that are posted here that are your property, I will promptly remove them and all reference to them. It isn't hard to tell who posted the pictures, so I suggest that if there is a problem with them using pictures you supplied being used, you discuss it with them privately also. My post telling people that the pictures in this thread are not in the public domain and not to "steal" them is intended to alleviate exactly what seems to have happened. Please advise which pictures you would like removed as soon as possible, so I may comply with your wishes...
Thanks
Paul Steinberg
Forums Administrator.

Tiverton, Rhode Island Criterion, out in front of the old Stone Bridge fire station.

Picture Copyrighted by Joe Bento

Attachments

• Tiverton Fire 029.jpg
    Tiverton Fire 029.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,368
The Pinners didn't build it in their factory, but helped to complete the units in the Memphian facility. As for pictures, the Pinner family doesn't have a lot of pictures of the cars that they built. What they have, they shared with the PCS Members at the meet in Albany NY.
Jack did send me a message which is below....
Paul

There are some differences in the Memphis and Superior. Mostly in the way the roof was raised over the driver compartment to the rear compartment and the door headers.

IMHO the Memphis is a poor quality copy of the Superior to meet the government specifications. I remember saying to my Dad, "is the government going to accept this quality of work."

Jack

Roger D White MD

like I said I don't know were I got them. no offence ment by posting them to this group and none taken when they were aske to be removed. but would you know if the superior would be a 63? we are trying to find a picture of the medic cabnet out of one and that sure looks like the front of one to me.

back to the pictures at hand. here is one I have not a lot of info on either. shes a oldie but a goodie

Attachments

• wreck 1937 Ambulance.jpg
    wreck 1937 Ambulance.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,392
Was AAA the same as Federal Ambulance Service in San Francisco ? Their ambulances looked identical during that time . I wonder if anyone else has photos of ambulance services back in the Bay Area & Silicon Valley back in those days including the '70s ? Does anyone have phots of Bay Cities Ambulance Service in San Diego ?

Was AAA the same as Federal Ambulance Service in San Francisco ? Their ambulances looked identical during that time . I wonder if anyone else has photos of ambulance services back in the Bay Area & Silicon Valley back in those days including the '70s ? Does anyone have phots of Bay Cities Ambulance Service in San Diego ?

AAA and Federal were both owned by Ray Bell of San Francisco. AAA was contracted by the County of Santa Clara to Zone 14, which included Cupertino (Now the home of Apple Computer), and unincorporated Monte Vista. AAA ambulances were painted orange (see attached photos), while Federal units were painted a deep red.

There was also a Bay Cities Ambulance which operated in a few cities of the east side of the San Francisco bay.

Attachments

• 227549_10150181838121198_563491197_7312023_4407476_n.jpg
    227549_10150181838121198_563491197_7312023_4407476_n.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,124
  • 248411_10150181835936198_563491197_7312001_6707289_n.jpg
    248411_10150181835936198_563491197_7312001_6707289_n.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,115
Back