Ohio meet @ Mansfield Reformatory!

It was our first outing as members of the PCS and my wife, Lorie, and I had a blast. The Bissman Building Tours, OSR and meeting all of you was a great experience. Needless to say we both had plenty to talk about on our drive home. Can't wait to get out to another meet....

Really?????

"And the Hard Luck Award Went to..............ME!"

Don't know how you figure that, at least you got there.....we couldn't get our car out of the shop to go!!!! :D:D:D

When it does get running sometime next week, it's gonna be awesome!! We are currently waiting for parts from California (must be gold plated for the price they're charging).

Parts

Russel,

I hope the parts you recieve solves your dilemma :thumbsup:

Ohh and remember California IS the GOLDEN state...I doubt the parts will be "gold plated" but rather just parts FROM the GOLDEN state !! LOL

Last edited:
I just wanted to add that I had a great time at the Mansfield meet. The OH chapter put on a nice get-together, and the tour of the old Ohio State Reformatory (where "Shawshank Redemption" and several other movies have been filmed) was outstanding. Nice to hang out for the day with my Ohio friends.

Just don't expect your camera batteries to last long in the prison. ;)

A couple of my favorite photos from the day.

'65 Olds VistaCruister wagon, Joe Martens of Donald Martens & Sons Ambulance Service, Cleveland, OH. This is a reproduction of the '65 ACC Olds his father started ambulance service with. He did a nice job of re-creating an Amblewagon from photos, original parts, and reproduction of the window panels. No suction cups (but there are Velcro squares....eh). Even used the original magnetic Junior beacon. Like most wagon ambulances, Joe said their's was also the family station wagon for trips, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_4695 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_4695 - Copy.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_4704 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_4704 - Copy.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 216
It's All Dwayne

Dwayne does an exceptional job organizing this event every year. The grounds are so great to just relax. Having been through the tours a couple times now, I just opted to hang out on the lawn and enjoy the company. I had a great time.

'40 Flxible Buick combination, Ken Heyl, Ashland, OH. He bought it in PA from someone who was going to cut the top off and drop a small block under the hood but didn't get to it (yeah, Ken). He doesn't know the history - and the body number plate is missing. He is restoring it.

The line of cars on display in front of the Reformatory, as seen from the second floor window. And some of the group relaxing on a very nice day. The main building of the prison is very impressive.

Attachments

• IMG_4789 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_4789 - Copy.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4819 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_4819 - Copy.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_4757 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_4757 - Copy.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_4805 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_4805 - Copy.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 195
Had a great time--its always fun to go to the Reformatory. A big thanks to Dwayne for all of his hard work doing this for the second year :D As usual, it was fun catching up with people and their cars. Its also interesting seeing what they have done at the Reformatory since last year. They are replacing the windows in one of the cell blocks at a cost of $15,000 each. Also, they are putting the stained glass transoms back in above the windows in the two front buildings. They had been removed, and amazingly the state of Ohio still had them. According to Becky our tour guide, each window only fits in the space it came out of, so they have to figure out which window goes where, a very time consuming process. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• Mansfield2 017.jpg
    Mansfield2 017.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Mansfield2 013.jpg
    Mansfield2 013.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 192
  • Mansfield2 032.jpg
    Mansfield2 032.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Mansfield2 008.jpg
    Mansfield2 008.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 193
More photos...

Here are a few more from the day.
Eileen Schoenecker in front of her horse drawn in mourning dress.
Up close detail from a beautiful piece of furniture made in the Reformatory woodshop.
Massive marble columns that flank the visitation room.
Cell interior.

Attachments

• Mansfield2 002.jpg
    Mansfield2 002.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Mansfield2 030.jpg
    Mansfield2 030.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 188
  • Mansfield2 021.jpg
    Mansfield2 021.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Mansfield2 022.jpg