Lights Out

Patrick J. Martin

PCS Life Member/Illini Chapter President
I realize this is a Cadillac-heavy club, but maybe someone could offer some advice concerning my 1975 Lincoln Continental TownCar. My parking lights, headlights, and high beams have decided to not work. The turn signals, hazard flashers, and brake lights are fine. I drove the car Monday and everything was working, I go to drive it again Tuesday and discover this. They literally were working one day and not the next. I have spent the past couple days looking for loose/bad connections, corrosion, bad ground, bad bulbs, etc, and have found nothing amiss. I've even taken my dashboard apart looking for the culprit. Any suggestions?

Do all those circuits run through the headlight switch itself? If so, the switch could be bad internally with everything else working as it should.
That is common on early 80's VW's and a similar outcome when the windings inside go bad.
May be apples to oranges, but sounds similar to me. HTH

the power for the high low switch come out of the headlight switch so with all that not working if there is no fuse out? the headlight switch sounds like the problem.

The headlamp switch has a built in circuit breaker that protects the headlamp circuit. The dash lights and tail lights are almost always on the same circuit and protected by a fuse, no matter what the American manufacturer. It it were just the headlamps, I would immediately look at the floor mounted dimmer switch as the culprit, however, when you throw into the mix then, I am with everyone else calling it the headlamp switch. The one thing that does bother me is the tail-lamp circuit, because that should still work even if the circuit breaker has gone bad. Before you do anything else, check to see if the electrical plug to the headlamp switch has come loose. If that is tight, then check the plug on the back side of the fuse block to see if that might be loose. Usually that is on the engine side of the firewall, and the fuse block on the inside wall of the fire wall.
I also wouldn't discount there being a ground problem. I suggest that you take a jumper cable and clip it to the negative terminal of the battery, and then clip it to the engine block, and see if the problems go away. If they persist, then try clipping the jumper cable to a shiny surface, such as a bumper or some bare metal of the body. Bad grounds can cause many gremlins in the electrical system.
If you have to change the headlamp switch, disconnect the battery, and then reach up to the top of the headlamp switch from under the dash. On the top or side of the switch, you will feel a small button. Pull out the headlamp switch to the headlamp position, and then depress the button, and continue pulling on the knob. The headlamp knob will now come out fully, so you can access the nut behind the knob. Unscrew the nut with a large screwdriver, and then lower the headlamp switch. Disconnect, and take it with you to the auto parts store to match it up to the new one. Don't trust the parts book to get you the correct one the first time. Too many mistakes in the new electronic parts books.

I say check the dimmer switch, sometimes the dimmer switches cause this problem. Then check the fusible links. Make sure current is going through them. I believe the links are located at the starter solenoid on those Town Cars.

Patrick, I've had and driven many Ford products including some when I was on our police force. I still like Ford products but have had to replace the headlight switches on most of them when they began to get some miles on them. Several that I have had would like to go off when you were driving at night and some would go off for a couple of minutes then come back on. That was fun. My bet is the switch...

Back