Are these lights or reflectors ?

I ve seen a few of these on ambulances and can't figure out if they're lighted or are reflectors. It's the circular red lens mounted on the front driver side fender above the turning lamp. Whats the story and how are they installed ?

Attachments

• cad0090a.jpg
    cad0090a.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 202
These are indeed red flashing light better known as intersection lights. They were and option for many years until they became required in the Federal specs which you will see them on ALL later model ambulances.

My 1978 Superior Cadillac ambulance doesn't have them, so I doubt that they were a requirement then. Possibly today they are a requirement.

Those were added to assist with intersection clearing. Those lights gave more lighting to the front and side so the car could be seen better when entering an intersection on emergency calls.

You have to cut a 3inch hole in the side of the fender, most of the time nobody bothered to put some paint or primer on the bear metal so it was a great sorce for rust to form.:eek:

Superior did offer them, and I do have a pair that I could mount, however, I have a hard time drilling holes in my fenders. Every time that I put the drill to the metal, my hand freezes, and my eyes close...:eek:

These are indeed red flashing light better known as intersection lights. They were and option for many years until they became required in the Federal specs which you will see them on ALL later model ambulances.

I don't remember seeing these intersection lights advertised in any of the Big 3's advertising materials, however all I've seen of the adverstising materials are smaller versions that have been scanned and uploaded here.

But I'm sure they didn't advertise every possible option in their space ads.

I know I have seen Superior ambulances with intersection lights, and this here S&S has intersection lights, but not sure if I've ever seen an M-M with intersection lights. Although I have seen M-M ambulances with Ful-Vu lights on the hood which looked really really cool...and probably served the same purpose as intersection lights.

Abe

Back