Brakes

James Fischer

PCS Member
Anyone have a good source for a master cylinders ??:confused:
I am needing one for the 70 and of course no one local has one.:(
Any help or suggestions appreciated !:)

Suggest that you read this thread...... click here .. I just went through this and you are also up against the same problem. The master cylinder has been obsoleted, and is no longer available. If you want to send it to me, I will disassemble it, and then forward it to the company that sleeved mine. When done, they can send it back to me, and I can assemble it for you, and ship it back. Let me know what you decide. Paul

brakes

Master brake in sac. I have there number at home and get back to you or i can text it on yr cell. The are the best. slow, but the best.

Thank you

Suggest that you read this thread...... click here .. I just went through this and you are also up against the same problem. The master cylinder has been obsoleted, and is no longer available. If you want to send it to me, I will disassemble it, and then forward it to the company that sleeved mine. When done, they can send it back to me, and I can assemble it for you, and ship it back. Let me know what you decide. Paul

Paul,

Actually I read and re-read it again...because I knew back when you first posted it I would be looking for a new MC myself......but I just shelved it for that day when it came about...well this past week end it came about......on the way home from the upholstry shop the brakes felt really strange....

I thought I was finally to the point of posting the "results" of the past 4 months in the next few days.....but it seems she likes being in all those cozy places called service bays/garages.....

So once again she is waiting for the UPS driver.....
The shop that shes in... says they found one in the LA basin...they insist its a CC mc.....we shall see....it should be here Thursday....

Thank you for your offer,I still may take you up on it with the one that is being removed ,just to have a spare.....since I have 2 70's......
I will keep you posted...

The commercial chassis master cylinder was never offered in the aftermarket as new, to the best of my research. The original master cylinder has a 2 letter designation stamped into the cylinder. Don't remember what it is, and it might be in the post that I made. Also, the lines come off on the opposite side as on the passenger car. I know that there are people that believe that a 1" master cylinder is the same, no matter what GM car or truck it came off of, but I don't think that GM would have gone to the trouble of making one specifically for the commercial car if it were the same as the other units.

MC

Paul,
I was advised to today that a Raybestos MC36335 would do the trick...only thing being the bore is 11/8" vs 1" on original....
The gent said it would make little if any differance...but....I dont know......I'm a little skeptical ??
So was it Apple Hydraulics that you used ?? and if so were you satisfied with everything ??
If so,it looks like off to them mine will go for a complete rebuild.
Please advise...thank you !

An 1/8" difference in a cylinder bore is a big difference. It will work, and you will have more pressure at the cylinders, with less pressure at the pedal. If it fits on without any modification then you might be satisfied with it. I don't want to be on the hook to make the decision for you.
The rule of thumb when dealing with liquids, is double the size of the tube, and you will increase the volume by 4 times. This means that you are increasing the volume in the piston by 25% if my math is correct.
I did use Apple Hydraulics, and was very pleased with the service. You will need to disassemble the cylinder before mailing it to him.

ask them which side of the master the brake lines attach to. right or left. if it's oppose of yours pass on it.

ask them which side of the master the brake lines attach to. right or left. if it's oppose of yours pass on it.

Its on the same side (left as facing firewall).......They are mgoing to install it temporarily until i can get the original one back from Apple Hydraulics,then I will switch them out again.....

An 1/8" difference in a cylinder bore is a big difference. It will work, and you will have more pressure at the cylinders, with less pressure at the pedal. If it fits on without any modification then you might be satisfied with it. I don't want to be on the hook to make the decision for you.
The rule of thumb when dealing with liquids, is double the size of the tube, and you will increase the volume by 4 times. This means that you are increasing the volume in the piston by 25% if my math is correct.
I did use Apple Hydraulics, and was very pleased with the service. You will need to disassemble the cylinder before mailing it to him.

Thank you for the information.....Apple said on a complete rebuild that they would like the whole unit as it was removed from the vehicle ,so I guess thats how I will ship it.......this will be the first time I have ever spent in excess of $200 for a master cylinder:eek:......but there IS a first time for evrything.....:thumbsup:

$245 verses $95 for sleeving only. For the extra $150, you can buy a kit for $30, and have your shop assemble it for you. It isn't worth the extra $120 for them to install the kit. Takes less than 20 minutes to put the kit into it, and about 10 minutes to disassemble it before sending it to them.

just for information. one if the first lessons I learned at age 16 on my first junk yard job was you refer to the car as left and right as if you were sitting in the drivers seat. bet I wore a hole in my jeans carrying that rock in my right pocket all the while I did that DECKA job. good thing they we did not have cell phones I might have gotten a complex all that ribbing I got when I brought the wrong head in. I did figure out right away that no matter what I was not going to be a mechanic when I went to work

$245 verses $95 for sleeving only. For the extra $150, you can buy a kit for $30, and have your shop assemble it for you. It isn't worth the extra $120 for them to install the kit. Takes less than 20 minutes to put the kit into it, and about 10 minutes to disassemble it before sending it to them.

Paul,Do you have a source for the rebuild kit ??
Would it be a good idea to have Apple re-sleeve it then ??

I got the kit at the local auto parts store, and installed it myself. Your mechanic should have no problem installing the kit when the cylinder is sleeved.

69-70

Picked this up with some other brake books on Ebay.

Attachments

• 35-1.jpg
    35-1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 35-2.jpg
    35-2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 35-3.jpg
    35-3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 57
  • 35-4.jpg
    35-4.jpg