our first hardship to the meet

Rocky Fluegge

PCS Member
Well I and following me was Kim Mcdonald to the meet. We are about 11 miles from the hotel and I noticed she pulled over. I spun around to see what her problem was, she said she heard a bang and now her car won't move. Well here is a prime reminder to check our u joints, she threw her drive shaft out from under the car. Sitting with us is Darren and brad. Waiting for a tow truck to get it to hotel to see if we can get one made for the ride back for her. So any ideas would be of great help to her. See you guys soon.

Some pics of our bad day

Attachments

• IMG_20140812_141442551.jpg
    IMG_20140812_141442551.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_20140812_142645836.jpg
    IMG_20140812_142645836.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_20140812_142626545.jpg
    IMG_20140812_142626545.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_20140812_150332748.jpg
    IMG_20140812_150332748.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 581
I tried to locate a driveshaft manufacturer in the Rochester area, however, I was unsuccessful. It might be less expensive to locate a used part, and install new cross bearings in it.
I was supprised to see how many driveshaft companies are now doing internet sales only, and the brick and mortar shops are gone.

Dumb suggestion, try a truck repair shop or truck parts dealer. Even try mobile truck repair guys. They try to make them driveable instead of towing them off the highway.

I had the driveshaft on my 67 Pontiac rebuilt and balanced at one.

We got her towed to fleet pride truck shop and they are going to get a new shaft made for her this week. On a secondary note, her u-joints were almost brand new greasable joints. Looks like who ever installed them either did not get the c clip installed all the way in, or it broke. Here is a pic of the car for the shop. Seemed like some really nice guys. Also sounds like there was a get together right next to their shop today.

Attachments

• IMG_20140812_164927819_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140812_164927819_HDR.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 560
Who built the coach? Is it built on a commercial chassis? Great Country Motors in Mason City, IA is not that far away from Rochester and they are parting out some of their '80s coaches. Jeff's phone number is 612.991.5882.

We got her towed to fleet pride truck shop and they are going to get a new shaft made for her this week. On a secondary note, her u-joints were almost brand new greasable joints. Looks like who ever installed them either did not get the c clip installed all the way in, or it broke. Here is a pic of the car for the shop. Seemed like some really nice guys. Also sounds like there was a get together right next to their shop today.

FLEET PRIDE is a national company and who we use here in So-Cal for our (construction) truck drive lines. MM

Shure glad it was the back U and not the front.
I had the front go out on me in my old 56 Chevy, going about 70 mph. The front U broke and dropped the drive shaft to the pavement and hit a grove in the road causing it to catapult the rear of my car about 5 ft in the air with just the front wheels on the ground. It made a big explosion sound cause it hit the middle of the gas tank, and bent the rear bumper on its way out the back. Being only 16 at the time, it still scared the heaven out of me.
Glad it was fairley uneventful and no one was hurt.

That is why I like driveshaft loops. A front universal joint failure cost me a Muncie 4 speed transmission, a clutch, bellhousing, driveshaft, a shifter and a lot of damage to the floor pan in another 2+2 I had in 1970.

It could have been worse as at least the driveshaft did not catch anything in the road surface.

Well good news and bad news. Good news she has a new drive shaft in it. Bad news the rear end is all messed up. Will not move and you can grab the tires and slid the axels out. So we made a call to by Buddie and Hoodlum car club brother to the rescue. He dropped what he was doing grabbed his son and his truck and trailer. He is here and her car is loaded up in the hotel parking lot. We will get it to Wisconsin and track down a rear end and swap it out. And I will get to see Kim some time soon for her to drive it back to Michigan.

Attachments

• IMG_20140815_172528154_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140815_172528154_HDR.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 270
It sounds like the problem might of came from the rear end first. Maybe it locked up and since the U- joint is the weakest link, it caused it to break and drop to the ground. I think those rear ends have a C clip that holds the axles in? and maybe that it where it all started?
Glad to see its getting transported to where it needs to go, and not have to sit somewhere in a strange location for it.:)

I'm thinking the failure as you describe is either a spyder gear shaft has broken, he lock bolt has fractured allowing the shaft to move out of position or more likely the differential case has broken. The spyder shaft acts to limit the inward travel of the axle shafts. To remove the axle shafts you have to remove the spyder shaft, this allows the axles to push in far enough to remove the c locks.

I was surprised to see two hearses on either side of the highway as I drove by. Brad behind me in his hearse. We both stopped to offer assistance but ended up just keeping everyone company until the tow truck arrived.

The drive shaft shop did all they could in a short time and Rocky's friend Tom went above and beyond dropping everything to get there and get Kim's car back to Rocky's safely.

The club name may sound "harsh" but those Hoodlums are a rock solid car club !!!

I have met a lot of those guys and besides having a wide range of cool cars, their friendship is OUTSTANDING ! Everyone has a different range of skills and they all share those skills with each other when someone needs a hand.

To drop everything, drive out of state to pick up a car, to help a friend in need is priceless !!!

All thumbs up to Blacksmith Tom and his son for doing what real friends do !
Help a brother/sister when they need you most !

:applause: Tom

Darren

Another HUGE THANKS goes out to Brad Ross for getting Kim safely back to Flint MI in his 1st place award winning funeral coach.

Another guy who stepped up and offered his services to another MI Chapter member in a time of need.

Way to go Brad ! :thumbsup:

Render assistance whenever you can... you never know when you will be the one in need !

Darren

:applause:

Back