Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Emergency lighting and Sirens

Emergency lighting and Sirens For discussion of emergency lighting and sirens as they are associated with Professional Cars. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Prieur View Post
As on the cube van earlier this week, Federal XL. Be interested to know what kind of sound it generates.
For the size siren it is (6" rotor), the XL had a decent sound. With that cast housing around it, the tone is a bit deeper than the average W-series siren. A majority of the X series were 24-volt, built for the military.

When my late dad was active in the Air Force Reserve back in the '60s (he retired as a Lt . Col. in the late 70s) he was part of a Recovery Squadron based at Midland Internat'l Airport during the Viet Nam era. While they never actually did anything to speak of, the idea was to have damaged aircraft rerouted to Midland. Nice idea, but they didn't do much. He served as public information officer, which I was neat for me since I was a journalism student at the local community college back then. Inside their offices was an old XL siren mounted up in the rafters as an alert siren. You could hear it all over the building and even outside for a short distance.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Goulet View Post
For the size siren it is (6" rotor), the XL had a decent sound. With that cast housing around it, the tone is a bit deeper than the average W-series siren. A majority of the X series were 24-volt, built for the military.

When my late dad was active in the Air Force Reserve back in the '60s (he retired as a Lt . Col. in the late 70s) he was part of a Recovery Squadron based at Midland Internat'l Airport during the Viet Nam era. While they never actually did anything to speak of, the idea was to have damaged aircraft rerouted to Midland. Nice idea, but they didn't do much. He served as public information officer, which I was neat for me since I was a journalism student at the local community college back then. Inside their offices was an old XL siren mounted up in the rafters as an alert siren. You could hear it all over the building and even outside for a short distance.
Forgot to mention: That siren was also 24-volt.