Sad Pro-Cars

69 Superior. Very nice. Looks solid. I get tired of the "I'm gonna fix it up one day" thing. It usually ends up sold or crushed later.

Very restoreable. Worth saving. Thanks for sharing!

a lot of rust in all the courners comming threw. now for new York it's cherry I know. but look again around the hood and cournering lamps

LOL!!
Yes Ed! You are very right!! To a NY'er like me this coach IS in pretty awesome shape body wise!! When you don't have to do major rust repair thats a real bonus!! Yes, this does have rust on the hood lip and such but the quarter panels and rockers look quite solid as should be the floor pan, compare THAT to a typical NY vehicle of this vintage and there will be a MAJOR difference!!
I guess thats one reason why that when I see the solid/straight vehicles that other people trash or carve up as "parts vehicles" I just can't understand it??!! but I guess some people in other states have plenty of old cars and see them as a dime a dozen. lol! what can ya do right??!!

Dana.

well, I guess little bit at a time I will start scanning in some of the pictures I have taken and I'm guessing this is the place I ought to post them, please tell me if I am wrong.

First, some of you may recall me telling this story here and there, but I dont think I ever posted the pictures to go with it, maybe this would also fall under "the ones that got away"!!

I have had an interest in flowercars for a long time, well more so I guess after one day in the early '90's after taking a trip to see Jim Hinman's (chicken man) place at the old Pierce Arrow plant in Buffalo. As a few of you may recall Jim had a bit of an interesting collection to say the least!! Yes, I know they may not have all been in the best shape but still interesting!! I still recall on that day seeing a '67 Superior flowercar in that shop that caught my eye. I really liked the style and the roof line with that rear window, and all that stainless!!
Fast forward many years (2003), by this time several people know I am into pro-cars and one day a guy I deliver to in Jamestown, NY mentions to me that he knows of someone who has a flowercar and puts me in contact with the gentleman. The guy, Terry Tollman, has had several special vehicles, in fact I found out while showing him photo's that Terry was one of the past owners of my '72 Oldsmobile hearse!! Turns out that he bought this flowercar from Jim Hinman several years back, the SAME flowercar I had wanted!! Terry wasn't all that happy when he got it, it kind of ran when he got it but had the wrong engine dumped into it. Terry never did anything with it and was selling off what he had. He made me an AWESOME deal (and I know it!!) "$500" for both the flowercar AND a parts sedan in nice shape!! (barely seen next to it in these pictures). Thats $250 EACH!!

The day I took these photo's I was there with my friend Tim and I had CASH in my pocket intending to pay for it and find a way to bring it home!!! BUT......I had been thinking at the same time, what exactly would/could "I" do with these cars?? AND I have a neighbor who consistently complains that I have a few vehicles neatly parked outside (although I don't think anybody has ever asked him exactly WHY he is so bothered by a few vehicles??!!) (btw, I live out in the country not in town/city) IF I brought these home I would only be causing more trouble that was not needed. I stupidly decided to cave and back out of the deal. Needless to say I found out that Terry got a bit upset, turns out he was trying to find good homes for his vehicles, I guess he was sick and passed away a few years later.

At the time I did mention the information on the PCS board and was contacted by someone (I can't remember his name, VERY nice guy with a cool car hauler!) I think in kansas maybe?? and he did contact Terry and was very interested in buying the flowercar but somehow that deal did not go thru that I know of. My oldest brother Steve passed away that May and I lost interest at that time in the situation.

I really do wonder what became of this flowercar??!! It was decently solid for NY but did need lots of work, the door panels seemd to have a lot of surface rust on the INSIDE of the panels. would have taken a lot of work but was worthy of saving!!

anyway, I thought the story and pictures might be worth sharing. Ok, yea, maybe a lot of reading for only three pictures but hey, at least I have pictures!! LOL!!

484517_4256684213781_1866000154_n.jpg

575231_4256684093778_1126339439_n.jpg

526211_4256684653792_830220547_n.jpg

Dana,do you know if chickenman is still around,or has he gone to that great procar junkyard in the sky.:angel:

Denny,
not really sure where he has been or what he has been up to, a friend of mine swears he heard him being mentioned on the local news several weeks back?? I have not googled him to check, yet. the times I have met him he seemed a bit out there but still nice. Kinda interesting how so many people know him! I had a shop teacher many years ago that swore he was there when he got the name "chicken man"!! lol!
Dana.

'72 Superior End-Loader

Discovered in a yard today. Perfect rear bumper!!

Attachments

• 2012-11-28_15-42-47_796.jpg
    2012-11-28_15-42-47_796.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 663
I tought i could share a pro-car hunt I did with a friend few years ago.

This one remains unidentified coachbuilder based on a Ford... Siebert?

This one is now saved by another friend.

Here's a couple of recent arrivals at Desert Valley Auto Parts in Casa Grande, AZ that I shot today.........a '57 Fleetwood limo and a '53 Commercial Cadillac camper conversion. I wasn't able to establish the builder on that one.

Attachments

• Dvap 1.jpg
    Dvap 1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 782
  • Dvap 2.jpg
    Dvap 2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 754
Back