Casket Cover

Robert Shepard

Website Administrator / Past President - Golden St
Super Site Supporter
I've only seen covers like this used with "First Call" gurneys. I find it very dignified.

Attachments

• 68201382-18084929[1].jpg
    68201382-18084929[1].jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 3,696
I've only seen covers like this used with "First Call" gurneys. I find it very dignified.

I don't. What are they hiding? The family spends all that money for a beautiful casket and they cover it up? Perhaps if it's a waterproof cover to protect the casket in the rain, otherwise, I don't see the purpose of this at all. Funeral directors?

They are using it due to the type of casket finish. It is a Batesville Promethian casket with a mirror gold finish. The casket it self is highly susceptible to fingerprint staining that is why it's covered. I'd rather them use a cot cover than a plastic B'ville cover.

Is it a cot cover, or one made for a casket?

Last edited:
To me it looks like a cot cover. I myself have never used the cot cover for a casket cover in this manner. We will use a simple plastic casket cover when needed. We also use the quilted uhaul style cover when storing a wood or high end metal casket.

I agree, this is a Ferno cot cover. The casket is polished chrome, not the polished bronze that michael jackson had, athough the same design.Using this cover isn't a bad idea as long as the casket was only being moved prior to the service and it wasn't used as part of the service.

If I had sold this to a family, I'd cover it to protect it against the elements too. The casket is a Batesville Promethean. The same model used for Michael Jackson. What a modern masterpierce of the casket makers art. Here's a description and a price from a retail casket store:

It is hand made in Batesville Casket Company's Custom Shop where technicians hand polished its 48ozs/square foot solid bronze to a mirror finish. It has a plush velvet interior and hardware is 24-karat gold plated. It is available in full and half couch designs.

The Promethean Casket Features
• 48 ozs./square foot Bronze
• Velultra Velvet Interior
• 24-Karat Gold Plated Hardware
• Hand-Crafted Over Two Weeks and is Polished to a Mirror Finish
• Semi-Precious Metal That is Naturally Resistant to Rust and Corrosion
• Interior Chemically Protected Against Rust and Corrosion
• Batesville’s Four Point Protection Package
• Locking Mechanism Plus a One Piece Rubber Gasket to Completely Seal the Upper Region of the Casket and a Continuous Weld to Completely Seal the Bottom
• Tested for Resistance to Entry of Outside Elements
• Swing Bar Hardware
• Rounded Corner Design
• Fully Adjustable Bed
• Unique Family Memorial Portfolio
• Memorial Record System
• Living Memorial Program
• Full Manufacturer’s Warranty

The Promethean. . . . . .$24,000.00

The casket looks to be a millenium casket not the promethean. I also wonder in high profile funerals like this and Micheals funeral if batesville didnt donate the casket.

I also wonder in high profile funerals like this and Micheals funeral if batesville didnt donate the casket.

I can almost promise you that Batesville didn't donate the casket as it would be cost prohibitive. They are in the business of selling rather than donating. The cost of that casket is roughly half the cost of Michael Jackson's casket but still well above most if not all other high end caskets. I would also assume it has the 24K gold plated hardware which is an option for that particular casket. Since most of these go through the custom shop at Batesville, I would be curious as to what the interior was. I have only seen one laid out and it had a red (and I mean RED) interior. Pretty but not for my taste. As for the cover, it appears to be a typical velour cot cover with the funeral home's name embroidered on it. I would think the Ferno type covers might scratch the finish as they are more stiff and durable. My biggest curiousity in this whole production is, was she embalmed in California or embalmed in New Jersey?

Last edited:
Any of us who have had funerals and moved high end caskets know how easy they get bumped, dinged, scratched, finger printed, etc, while moving through doorways, positioning into the hearse..so on. Protecting the casket while moving it is no different than a moving company protecting your china hutch while they move it. I think it shows great concern and respect for the casket and the remains inside. Normally, only the funeral home staff is present when a casket is taken into a baptist church prior to a funeral so the public wouldn't see the cover. In this case, there appears to be more cameras around than I can imagine. Those funeral directors probably haven't slept in days and deserve some credit for handeling this during a media circus.

Mike Weirauch asked "...was she embalmed in California or embalmed in New Jersey?"

I believe it was in New Jersey at the funeral home there as quick as it all happened. She was only at the L.A. County Coroners office in California long enough for an autopsy.

If you look at other pictures closely, you will see that Chris is right, it is a Batesville Millenium. The hardware gives it away. On a Millenium, the lugs (been out of school so long, not even sure it that is the right name) are oval/round and on the Promethean they are square/arched. The cost of the Millenium is $12,900, btw.

Like Jay, I too have thought she was embalmed in New Jersey by the timeline between the autopsy and arrival in New Jersey on a private jet. I have never been a fast embalmer and knowing the extra time required for a full post I didn't feel there was enough time to properly and thoroughly (again I'm old fashion) embalm and put her back together. Did anyone notice the chrome piece that was missing from the hearse had been replaced or the hearse was a different one.

If you look at other pictures closely, you will see that Chris is right, it is a Batesville Millenium. The hardware gives it away. On a Millenium, the lugs (been out of school so long, not even sure it that is the right name) are oval/round and on the Promethean they are square/arched. The cost of the Millenium is $12,900, btw.

Wow, you guys are casket gurus! All good information. Thanks!

When the pall bearers brought the casket out after the service, the cover was NOT on it and it had a very nice shine to it. On a side note, did anyone notice the "flower car" in front of the hearse? It looked like a Chevy Avalanche to me.

Last edited:
As an outsider I'll ask: Are you allowed to ship a body across state lines without it having been embalmed? Just curious.

To transport a body on a commercial airline they require perpetration of a body. Mrs. Houston was flown on a private jet to New Jersey so I'd say it didn't matter with them. But, quicker perpetration the better off you are and less problems you will have during the viewing and funeral. Surprised the health dept. in California or Jersey didn't require it before the body left Calif. though even with her being transported by private jet and one would think that Cali would still have to issue a transit permit.

Last edited:
Chris is right it's not the promethean, this one is the chromed finish. Do not remember the name could be millenium. Doesnt matter I never sold any of both but they are nice in a showroom !

Back