PCS magazine mailing rates

Darren Bedford

PCS Member
Just a interesting fact I learned trying to send a copy of the PCS magazine to a US address from Toronto.

I put the magazine in a paper envelope and addressed it, took it to the post office and to my surprise, the post office said it was 10.63 to mail it !

:eek:

She told me to send it as letter mail was 10.63 but I could ship it as a small package for 7.50.

:confused:

Well, at even 7.50, I will wait a few weeks and mail it from the US when I am there.

I figured 2.00-3.00 to mail it but I was wrong !

Just goes to show you how much of a great deal it is getting 6 copies a year mailed to you for just 40.00 ! Maybe higher in Canada but still worth it with every issue !

Enjoy every issue while they are jammed packed full of ProCar information, history and photos !

We don't really know how lucky we are to be getting such a outstanding Professional Car Magazine.

All Killer, no ads or filler ! ...like all newsstand automotive magazines are !

Enjoy your magazines folks !
Darren

It cost as much to mail the magazine from the United States to Canada, as it does to mail the magazine from the United States to Hong Kong, Switzerland, England, Australia, or for that matter, almost anywhere else in the world. Once the magazine leaves the borders of the United States, the postal rates are more than double than mailing inside of the United States. I don't know why the club doesn't have just one rate for US residences, and the International rate for the rest of the world. There is no rational reason why, Canada and Mexico have the same membership rate as US residents when the postage costs are more than double. This is adding to our deficit every year, and has done so for more years that I have been a member. I don't ever remember a time when it cost less to mail a letter to Canada or Mexico than it did to mail a letter domestically.
I tried to correct this situation when I was President, however, it fell on deaf ears.

I guess it has to do with the quality of members we have up there. we want to keep them, well some of them. but what you going to do every lug of peaches has at least one bruised fruit. ;)

I guess it has to do with the quality of members we have up there. we want to keep them, well some of them. but what you going to do every lug of peaches has at least one bruised fruit. ;)

That is the statement that was made, that if we were to raise the rates on the Canadians, they wouldn't keep their memberships. With that rationale then, if we were to lower the rate to the Australians, Germans, and the rest of the world, then we would increase membership in those countries. We are running a car club, and just because we are a not for profit club, that doesn't mean that one group should have to subsidize another group just because of their geographic location. Sure, it might only be 75 or 100 memberships, and on an individual basis, it isn't a lot of money, maybe an extra $15 or $18 per year, but when you calculate that amount out to the actual dollars, it amounts to a lot of money each year. Do the math, $15 x 75 = $1125.. That is the cost of the yearly dues of 28 people going to subsidize Canadian postage!
I have a feeling that this post isn't going to be appreciated by those that are enjoying this benefit, however, it needs to be discussed rationally, and a fair and equitable adjustment made to the dues. Failure to do so is irresponsible, in my opinion.

Could the Canadian magazines be bundled as a parcel and mailed to 1 member in Canada and then be mailed from that point at a domestic Canadian rate?

I was told that this was looked into by a member of the Publications Committee, and they were told that if they were sent in bulk to one person, then a Customs Declaration would come into play, and duty would have to be paid, which would wipe out any savings. Duties are one reason that so many items that are readily available in the States, and could be shipped into Canada are not, and an identical product is produced in Canada, as a result.

well my view is this...

For my part and only speaking for myself I would pay extra to cover the postage, my brother in law belongs to a model railroad club and to get quality magazines (from the USA) costs him a small fortune over and above his memberships,he could not believe what we get for our dues. and in no way do I want the membership to subsidize my magazine,:smileflagcan: and as a side note when we do our annual income tax for the federal government we have to pay postage and that goes to their office in Manitoba.and thats:bsflag2:

Paul,
I would understand that if it were a magazine for resale or one that had a ticketed price on the cover. I would think that a declaration for a bulk pack of magazines would read

PRINTED MATTER ONLY
NIL VALUE

Not that I know, or have done any research into this.

With respect
Doug

Could the Canadian magazines be bundled as a parcel and mailed to 1 member in Canada and then be mailed from that point at a domestic Canadian rate?
You could do that even cheaper by having one of the Canadian members near the border drive down, pick up the magazines from a US member, then drive back and mail them. Any volunteers?

you would still have the problem of the canadian postage rates. but then it would be passed on to the man that picked them up. plus the expense of do that. and would only be a temporary solution as long as you had a willing participant. when there were 6 members it was not a problem expense wise. but we have a lot larger number and they are growing bring a lot to the club. it may be a topic for the next board meeting, our international rates.

Back