Miller-Meteor Olympian / Eureka Monticello

Tony Karsnia - Deceased - 1971-2020

September 12, 1971 - November 2, 2020
I didn't want to hijack Attila's thread in the Technical Section regarding commercial glass hearses, so I decided to start a new thread here to discuss a seldom-seen commercial glass car that was built in the mid-90s.

In 1995, S&S and Superior were offering commercial glass cars S&S with the traditional, squared-off look of their Masterpiece and Victoria hearses and the same style on the Lincoln Park Hill and Park Lane hearses. Superior offered aerodynamic commercial glass on their line of Sovereign and Crown Sovereign hearses.

Over in Norwalk, Ohio at CCE, Eureka and Miller-Meteor hearses were built as standard glass cars only for 1993 and 1994. Then, in 1995, commercial glass cars were designed under both nameplates: The Miller-Meteor Olympian and the Eureka Monticello, which were built on the rear-wheel-drive Cadillac Fleetwood chassis. I was selling Eurekas and Miller-Meteors at the time and I remember the news coming down the pike about the new, larger models. If my recollections are correct, the Olympian and Monticello came out later in 1995, as they weren't even listed in the brochures for that year.

These cars joined the model lineup for 1996 and were listed in the brochures (along with the Buick Special "Builac" concept that had started out as a coprorate offering only.)

Other than the nameplates, about the only differneces between a Miller-Meteor and a Eureka in those days were (a) the style of the landau bows; Eureka had straight bows while M-M's came with the "double S" style, and (b) the rear floor hardware; M-M coaches typically had rectangular roller housings while Eurekas used the "pointed-end" style roller housings.

Therefore, cars tended to be badged as whatever they might need to be to fulfill an order on any given day. We sold a Miller-Meteor Olympian that was technically a rebadged Eureka Monticello (that exact car is now owned by PCS member Matt Mahutga.)

I've scanned most of the 1996 Miller-Meteor brochure. At an outward glance, the standard glass LeClassic and commercial glass Olympian look similar, but the Olympian's dimensions are larger all the way around and this is noticable if you are standing next to the car.

I would assume (and suspect we'll soon know for sure based on the discussion in the Technical forum) that the CCE commercial glass cars used the same aerodynamic windshield as the Superior Sovereign series.

Attachments

• MM_LeClassic0002.jpg
    MM_LeClassic0002.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,182
  • MM_LeClassic0003.jpg
    MM_LeClassic0003.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,074
  • MM_LeClassic0001.jpg
    MM_LeClassic0001.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,116
A better look at the dimensions...

These scans should allow for better viewing of the dimensions.

Attachments

• CCE_dimensions0001.jpg
    CCE_dimensions0001.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,063
  • CCE_dimensions II0001.jpg
    CCE_dimensions II0001.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,069
1996 Eureka Cadillac Monticello

This one went to O.E. Larson-Osborne Mortuary (also serviced Rainville Brothers and Hanson-Johnson Mortuaries) in Minneapolis, MN. This car had a mulberry (burgundy) leather interior and woodgrain rear floor.

(Karsnia photos)

Attachments

• Monticello0001.jpg
    Monticello0001.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,279
  • Monticello0002.jpg
    Monticello0002.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,160
  • Monticello0003.jpg
    Monticello0003.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,273
1996 Miller-Meteor Cadillac Olympian

This one went to the Olson-Schwartz Funeral Home in Bemidji, MN. It was the re-badged Eureka, had a dark blue leather interior with white formica rear floor. This is the only Monticello / Olympian I remember seeing (and there weren't that many to begin with) that did not have a crown roof band.

After being traded in by Olson-Schwartz in 2004, this car was repainted black, used as a removal car by Johnson-Williams livery in Minneapolis and now resides in the Matt Mahutga collection.

(Karsnia photos)

Attachments

• Monticello0004.jpg
    Monticello0004.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,159
  • Monticello0005.jpg
    Monticello0005.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,049
  • Monticello0006.jpg
    Monticello0006.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,083
To illustrate the difference in proportions, the blue side panel (behind) is out of '95 Eureka Monticello. It is a 2.5" taller and almost 6" longer than this 'common' gray '95 Eureka side panel. (Inner fender panels likewise have almost 6" difference.)

dsc08972o.jpg

And where did designers compensate for this additional room? Commercial side glass, roof line, and extra space from top of side window molding to drip rail. Nicely done.

dsc09055o.jpg

To illustrate the difference in proportions, the blue side panel (behind) is out of '95 Eureka Monticello. It is a 2.5" taller and almost 6" longer than this 'common' gray '95 Eureka side panel. (Inner fender panels likewise have almost 6" difference.)

dsc08972o.jpg

And where did designers compensate for this additional room? Commercial side glass, roof line, and extra space from top of side window molding to drip rail. Nicely done.

dsc09055o.jpg

Thanks for the interior panel pic. I never would have thought of it being taller, I figured they would just wrap the headliner down a couple mor inches.

That one isnt mine.

Hi Tony, while I am graced with that car's presence from time to time, it belongs to a good friend of mine. Ben, who is currently working at JW owns it along with a few others I store for him. I think you had a chance to meet him at North Central Ambulance last Spring. He drives that coach almost daily and its been a very good car.

The only ex JW car I own is the 95 Buick MM.

That ones not mine (part two)

I got a chance to see the Eureka / Miller yesterday. It still looks pretty good, but the roof above the windshield leaks badly now, I assume it's rotted under the cover just above the windshield? Is that a terrible repair job? Can the vinyl be pulled back to repair it without having to put a new top on the car?

I got a chance to see the Eureka / Miller yesterday. It still looks pretty good, but the roof above the windshield leaks badly now, I assume it's rotted under the cover just above the windshield? Is that a terrible repair job? Can the vinyl be pulled back to repair it without having to put a new top on the car?

the answer to that is a big maybe. on that car most likly the seam has split. but untell you try you don't know.

Tony et al, a friend near Detroit acquired this commercial glass raised roof '96 Eureka today from a FH. It was last used for service on Monday.

96eureka1b.jpg

The FH bought a matched silver with dark blue pair new. This one has 33k miles, the other has 77k miles. According to the FD, this is a Signature model (no mention of Monticello), top of Eureka's offerings. It is differentiated by the stainless band continuing horizontally and a rear removable floor for carrying urns.

So is it a Eureka Monticello? Eureka Signature? Or maybe Eureka Monticello Signature?

Seems there are more of these '95-'96 commercial glass coaches out there. :thumb:

Tony et al, a friend near Detroit acquired this commercial glass raised roof '96 Eureka today from a FH. It was last used for service on Monday.

96eureka1b.jpg

The FH bought a matched silver with dark blue pair new. This one has 33k miles, the other has 77k miles. According to the FD, this is a Signature model (no mention of Monticello), top of Eureka's offerings. It is differentiated by the stainless band continuing horizontally and a rear removable floor for carrying urns.

So is it a Eureka Monticello? Eureka Signature? Or maybe Eureka Monticello Signature?

Seems there are more of these '95-'96 commercial glass coaches out there. :thumb:

It is a Monticello with Signature trim, but it would be refered to as a Eureka Signature (Monticello would not be mentioned)
Nice looking coach!!!

This post is a great read!

Some awesome pictures and some great information!

Thanks for the interesting content! I love these kind of conversations!

Thanks all that have contributed!

It is a Monticello with Signature trim, but it would be refered to as a Eureka Signature (Monticello would not be mentioned)
Nice looking coach!!!

Atti, I did some more digging. these coaches are also known as a Eureka HGC Signature, or just HGC. They were introduced in 1989 on FWD and RWD chassis to honor Eurekas founder Howard G. Carter. As far as I can find, 1996 was the last year this model was produced.

HGC Signature

When this model was intoduced in 1989, the intended platorm was Eureka's front-wheel-drive Concours landaulet hearse (with the Fleetwood fender skirts.) The car's identifying feature was the brushed stainless band that went over the roof and down the rear quarter panels below the beltline. The original intent was for this model to really make a statement as an elite design, complete with HGC identification plate bearing a body number specific to the HCG Signature series.

I don't recall seeing any 1989 RWD Signature models; I think those came along in 1990. If anybody has a picture of an '89 RWD Signature, I'd like to see it.

One early examples, the stainless trim "tapered" as it swept down the beltline, following the top trim line of the rear fender. Soon, the design was changed so the stainless trim ran along the beltline, completely around the rear end of the car.

It didn't take long and less empahsis was placed on the "HCG" significance, though Eureka continued to offer the stylish "Signature" trim as an option all the way into the late 2000's until Accubuilt dropped the Eureka line.

When this model was intoduced in 1989, the intended platorm was Eureka's front-wheel-drive Concours landaulet hearse (with the Fleetwood fender skirts.) The car's identifying feature was the brushed stainless band that went over the roof and down the rear quarter panels below the beltline. The original intent was for this model to really make a statement as an elite design, complete with HGC identification plate bearing a body number specific to the HCG Signature series.

I don't recall seeing any 1989 RWD Signature models; I think those came along in 1990. If anybody has a picture of an '89 RWD Signature, I'd like to see it.

One early examples, the stainless trim "tapered" as it swept down the beltline, following the top trim line of the rear fender. Soon, the design was changed so the stainless trim ran along the beltline, completely around the rear end of the car.

It didn't take long and less empahsis was placed on the "HCG" significance, though Eureka continued to offer the stylish "Signature" trim as an option all the way into the late 2000's until Accubuilt dropped the Eureka line.

Tony, thanks for the added info on my post before this. I did not realize they offered them after 1996. Also, here is a picture of the early design you mentioned on a 1990 FWD chassis.

1990 Eureka Signature 2.jpg

Heard through a PCS member of a rare '96 Monticello that may be available. Followed up, spoke with owner, learned all about coach. Mulberry leather interior, was complete when arrived from a coach dealer, has since started being parted. Not rusty, low mileage, good motor & transmission.

Turns out a coach dealer sold this Monticello to a dismantler because a windshield could not be found. (They're actually readily available, merely not cheap by any means.) This picture provided by seller didn't phase me. I have almost everything shown missing (plus a list of interior items needed) to put back together and potentially save another infrequently seen coach.

12605352634_10df76b3d7_b.jpg

Had a friend go yesterday, take careful inventory, and better images. Really glad too - because seller never mentioned how careless his employee had been removing parts.

12604931505_71f0e71586_b.jpg

Deal breaker. :(

Attila,
Ken Novak and I looked at that car in Kansas City 2 years ago. Looked the same then. It was sad to see that it was parted for a windshield.

Back