1996 needs new brakes

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
Will any local brake shop have brakes for my 1996 S&S Masterpiece in stock or is this something I have to schedule? If I remember correctly, these are "commercial" (or heavy duty) brakes and not the usual Cadillac brakes. Jim

When doing a brake job very important to clean and lube caliper slider area very well also clean corrosion off the exposed part of the piston before sliding piston back in. Brake pads are a your choice item if you get a hard metallic pad there is less fade on severe use but it will wear the rotor the soft pads fade quicker but will not wear rotor. If you are not a hard driver the soft pads are a better choice. Also do not use aftermarket rotors if you need rotors. They will warp and give problems. We found this out the hard way back when the Caprice cop car ruled the road. Your Masterpiece is HEAVY so the brakes work have to work hard just like a cop car. Also a good idea to clean slots on rotor of rust brakes will run cooler. Also check hoses for cracks they are prone to cracking from heat.

Back