Seat in a 1949 Chevy Barnette?????

:confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2:I need some help on what the front seat in a 1949 Chevrolet Barnette Combo would look like? When I got mine, all the material from the springs itself where gone and had nothing to go by. So if there is any pictures out there, please send me some so I have some sort of idea. The springs are not bad......just pinch me sometimes!! LOL

seat covering

Maybe Bill Leverett can help here. He has a later model but I bet the seat covering did not change much in 4 or 5 years. I think it may have been a pebble grain material.
Mike

:my2cents:

I'll take some pictures and post them in the next few days for you. On holidays right now so am using the time for the Lifeliner.

my 53 has a heavy duty type cloth seat cover on it. all most a canvas . did yours have the Barnette made bench or the factory buckets? can't remember. but think I saw the bench springs in your pictures. I would match the material of the door coverings and you got it as close as you can get. tell me are your doors a cloth covering sewn over the factory material on the front doors? thats the way this 53 is.

Attachments

• IMG_5317.jpg
    IMG_5317.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 243
Now thats what I call a HOT SEAT!!!!! What happened??? LOL Yea John, My front seat is a custom bench seat made from Barnette. And the door panels are the same Vinyl as the rest of the car. But they covered over the original material. But I think I will just cover the door panels instead of going back with the original then covering it again. What do you all think? Should I fix some of the mistakes on the car as well or just leave them alone the way they were from Barnette? Like the rear doors, You can tell where they put them together, and I thought about going in and cleaning it up so you can't tell. Like the tail lights really bug me. They have them too far out to the side of the quarters and I thought about fixing them as well... Please leave me some comments on what I should and shouldn't do.

we are going to have to remake the door pads as they have weathered away. so we'll just put the same material on them as the front seal and leave off the factory stuff under neath. the seat was bolted to the floor using the factory mounting holes on the out side. GM only put the buckets seats in the sedan delivery so the seat is custom made. here I was welding up some damage to the frame and cough a mouse nest on fire. as for changes why?? I did not think they moved the taillights from the factory position but if they did it was for a reason. little stuff make it unique to the manufactures are best left as long as there safe. in my opinion, of course the it's your car do as you want applies. but it's what changes if from the rest. a lot of small co building on the sedan delivery body each did it a little different. is the rear upholstery on yours different from the front? this one is even the covering on the doors.

Attachments

• IMG_8009.jpg
    IMG_8009.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 228
I agree that you ought to restore things as close as possible to original. Cleaning, repairing, etc., OK. But changing the lights, that's part of the coachwork, that's going to change a lot about the appearance of the car. I don't think that's a good thing. My opinion, you asked. :myopinion:

As for the seat, in two weeks I will probably see Pete Menedis' '48 Barnette Chevy ambulance. I can take a bunch of photos of the front seat if you like.

Its not that im going to change them. You can tell originally it came with one tail light on the left side. And it was removed and they installed two tail lights like what you would find on the car. Its just that they are too far to the outside and need to be brought in a little thats all........So im going to leave in, Just position them where they are supposed to be?????

And also, I need to see how the front seat was held in place also!!!!

The bench seats in the 49 - 52 Chevys were all installed pretty much the same way. Rails attached to risers which were bolted to the floor. There was an back & forth adjustment mechanism which was operated on the driver side. See pic.

For the seat covers I found that National covered the seats in brown naugahyde with red piping. My current seats had the naugahyde covered with a fabric which will go when the seats are recovered.

Attachments

• 1-20 (seats) (2).jpg
    1-20 (seats) (2).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 188
Back