Looking to Buy and Restore Project--Restorable funeral car

David Adams

PCS Member
Hello Members. I am new to this site but not new to the club. I am looking to buy a Project or Restorable Funeral car from 1942 to 1968, Hearse, Ambulance, Combo or Flower car. Must run or turn over by hand, Must be Automatic, Need to see complete set of photos of car inside and out. I can travel local Eastern States for a car.
This is a very serious post and I have always loved the style, class and work that went into the Early Funeral car for this is when builders and people in general still had class and cared about how cars looked. Thank you and Take care. David Adams. Schwenksville. worldwartwo41@gmail.com

Welcome to the website. I know of a few cars that might be available, depending on what you want to spend. Are you looking for a $10,000 car, or are you looking to spend more? There are many cars that owners are willing to part with, if the financial side of the equation is met. Today, a surface preparation and paint job can cost upwards of $10,000, and that doesn't account for re-chroming bumpers, door handles, trim, etc.. Add to that the cost of the mechanical issues, and a nice driving and looking car will start to add up to the point where some people think that if they start off with a lesser car, that they can get to that point of the nicer car for less money. The truth is, that they can, if they have the ability to do all the necessary mechanicals and body work themselves.
The years of cars that you desire, is also a limiting factor, since there are a lot more cars from the 1970's available, then there are of the 1950's & 1960's.

Glad to see you have joined! Keep watching this site, the members here often post vehicles for sale from all over the US and abroad! The good thing about checking this site for coaches is that you will find a lot of feedback, sometimes history, and other helpful information about a given car for sale.

My humble advice: Don't rush into anything. Sometimes a $10,000.00 car is less expensive than a $5000.00 car. If you cannot see a car in person, ask a PCS member or a mechanic to take a look for you. I have seen many cars for sale using pictures that are years old, and do not represent the vehicle.

I am excited for you. I hope you find a good one!

Welcome David! I think you will have plenty to choose from, because you are interested in a variety of years, body style, coach builders, etc. You should probably try to buy the best car for the amount of money you have to spend. You can find decent cars for low prices, when you are open-minded, like you seem to be. You will find that restoring these cars can be a big job and cost lots of money. You will also find that certain pieces on professional cars can be difficult, sometimes impossible to find. And unless you have experience restoring cars, if the car you buy is too rough, you may lose interest, or run out of time and money, without ever enjoying the car. I do not mean to discourage you, rather encourage you to buy a car that you can actually drive and enjoy as it is, right away. it does not have to be a show car. Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress and if you have any questions, just ask, we are all happy to throw our thoughts and experiences into the situation.

David...It's out of your desired range of years, but Doug Kelley has a '74 Superior combination for sale ($6,500 I believe). It's listed in the "For Sale To The General Public" section. It is a very nice car in pretty good condition.

Back