Survey for car restore

OK, I'm asking for opinions on what I'm thinking about doing. I have a 48 Chevrolet National thats in pretty desent shape and condition. Its 100% original, and hasn't been molested as far as anything ever changed.
Tell you a little bit about it, the paint is nice, but it has issue's with some missing, and the bottom of the back doors need help. Now I have the gas tank out because of rust holes, and bought a new one. The carb needed rebuilt because of the rust in the tank. The bottom of the front supension has about 2 inches of sluge on everything, I have scrapped about 25 pounds of it off so far. The car has around 50,000 OG miles, but I'm thinking it must have a long time leak somewhere to have all that on the bottom of the car. The only good thing about that is it helped protect it from rust.
I'm wanting to do the car justice and keep it looking like it should, but if I repair the doors, the paint will have to be resprayed. I have a guy at a body shop come by and give me a bid for repair on the doors, the rest of the car is rust free and just a few little dings. He said he can fix the doors easy enough and would like to do it because he likes the car. He said the paint probably wouldn't match real well because its Laqoure (sp) and the new paint is all differnt. Now I have another 60 Chevy Bel air that he wants to trade for all the work and new paint.
OK the question for the survey is this....
Should I repaint the whole car, or paint it where it needs it and leave the OG stuff alone?
Sorry this is winded but I wanted to explain what my intentions are. :blahblah:
I think there are some pictures of the car on here somewhere?

My thought is repair and repaint. I believe when trying to get the general public to find interest in and appreciate the uniqueness of professional car, the better the condition, the more they may take notice. It's also a way to show our best face are a group who exists to preserve these cars. I think they are more likely to stop and look at a restored example than one with "patina" or a potential hot rod. This is just based on personal experience showing my own cars, so I'm not sure how true that is in general...

I think there are some pictures of the car on here somewhere?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Im with Adam, I can tell you that the best way to preserve a body from rust is a complete job, you never know what is hidden under a "bubble".

Having a complete paint job gives more power when you want to rent if for movies, graduations, funerals, etc. and it's easier to match the color when it's spayed all over than only few spots !

if the car pictures is the one your talking about if would be easy enough to spot in the black. you can still get the lacquer but to clean up the car your spotting it everywhere. but if it was mine I would fix the rust and repaint the car back in original color. it's only original once but a man really gets tired of looking at the original dent, original pealing paint and the original spot the rust came threw. unless your into the rat rods a rough old car is a rough old car. one the damage is present it no long has any value as original. it then falls into the easy to re do category. the oil leak is most likely the pan gasket or the front seal. both will leak for lack of use. get the repairs made the leaks fixed and enjoy the car. life doesn't get any better then that.

Thanks Mr Borkat for posting the pictures, it helps to see what I'm talking about.
I guess you guys want me to SPEND money, and open the pit. I know the new paint will sure make a differnce on it.
Do you guys make any money for renting the car out for jobs? and do you go with the car, or you let them drive your car? always wondered how the movie thing works? And if you aren't in the business, how would you use the car if someone has a request, rent it out to the FH? sorry for the questions, but all the people I hang out with wouldn't have a clue:D

My thought is repair and repaint. I believe when trying to get the general public to find interest in and appreciate the uniqueness of professional car, the better the condition, the more they may take notice. It's also a way to show our best face are a group who exists to preserve these cars. I think they are more likely to stop and look at a restored example than one with "patina" or a potential hot rod. This is just based on personal experience showing my own cars, so I'm not sure how true that is in general...

picture.php

you can see how the bottom has pulled from the frame. This car has a wooden frame, with the metal attached.

where might I buy the material for the back deck? It looks to be linouleum, dark maroon , maybe what I heard some of you call brick?
I want to keep as close as OG, but what about a newer cork material? wouldn't that be something that was available in 1947? would it de-value the car to make the change?

picture.php
[/QUOTE]

Well if you have been on the board for awhile you know alittle bit about me.

I have the thought that it is only original once and I think some of the patina is cool it shows the world that there are still nice original cars out there.
I think it has to do a lot about you. I paint and restore and hot rod cars, I love my cars that are not that nice or perfect. I can go places and not get to worried about if its going to rain or if someone is parking to close to it ect.

I think if you only have one or two cars and you like to keep working on them go crazy and build your big model if you like. I would get all the mechanicals all fixed so you can hit the key and drive it and have fun with it when ever your heart tells you to go play.

I have a few cars that way and I always ask my self would I have more fun and enjoy this car if I spent another 10-20 or so grand more on it to have it perfect. My answers is usually not at all. When they are that nice then all the pain of worring about it comes into play. Just my two cents from some one who does restorations and has a handful of cars.

But what ever your decision on it needs to make you happy. And if you do not have all the funds for it do not blow it all apart do what you can to keep enjoying it as you work on it. You may have a lot of fun with it and then get board with the looks and you always can fix it up a panel at I time and drive it as you go.

Herb, that looks like a pretty nice coach to me. I agree with painting the entire car, I don't think you can do it justice going part of the way. And I like Adam's thinking about showing these cars at their best. Good luck with it!

Thanks Rocky, I hear what you are saying I've been doing cars for a long long time myself. This type of car is new to me, but its still a car. I just like to do stuff right the first time because I know there won't be a fix it later.
I'm leaning on a full paint job because of the deal with the painter, I can get this car all done right, with fixing the bad bottom of the doors with new metal. Plus a whole new paint job for a even trade on the 60 Chevy I have. I have no money out of my pocket. I think if I was to spend money on a vehicle I have, I would spend the money on a 15 window VW bus that I've had for several years.
I really don't go to the car shows like I once did because of health, but I can go out to the barn and piddle around on the bottom of the hearse to get it all cleaned up. I have lots of other cars to drive around , like you say. They range from the jump in and drive to the one you can eat off the bottom of. They are all fun, I have something to drive while I have the 48 under construction.
I guess one idea I've had, don't know if it will ever happen is this, I've wanted to use the car if some Veteran wanted to use. So I would want the car to look very nice, but maybe the family wouldn't care if the paint isn't all shinney new looking.

I'd say paint it. It was a great looking car when I took those pictures but I have to agree, to do it half way wouldn't do it any justice.

Being a fan of Chevrolet Nationals I'd say go for the full paint and make her look as good as possible. I notice that she has some of the high end accessories
(bumper wraps, visors and maybe others). Very nice vehicle.

I guess one idea I've had, don't know if it will ever happen is this, I've wanted to use the car if some Veteran wanted to use. So I would want the car to look very nice, but maybe the family wouldn't care if the paint isn't all shinney new looking.

I assume that you mean for the final ride. I commend you on that thought and urge you to go through with it. When ready you just need to get the word out.
Thanks for thinks of the Vets.

Lacquer.

I recommend painting the entire car using lacquer. You can easily get black lacquer and it will duplicate the cars original finish. It is also easy to work with, easy to spot in if you need to, and its not as expensive as the new stuff.

Back