Exterior cleaning supplies

Brendan Martin

PCS Member
Now that the weather is getting better I would like to clean the exterior of my car. The chrome on the car is in pretty good shape, but it would look nicer if it were polished, also the casing for the bullet lights are in need of cleaning. I believe they are aluminum but can't be sure. Does anybody have any recommendations on specific products? Also any suggestions on car soap? The car needs body work but I would still feel better if it was clean. Thanks.

Cleaning Supplies

Being this is kinda right up my Alley, Since I did this Sorta thing at the Local Garage through my High School years and a few years there after.

On some things that are Tarnished due to Whatever Reason (Brake Dust, Exhaust soot, or just Sitting around) I've found on Some Certain types of Chrome Trim, Ultra Fine Steel Wool (like Grade #0000) Can Polish things right up, Although I will also Say that I've seen that same type of Steel Wool Do damage too, so I wouldn't Suggest it on all Aplications and Forms of Chrome Trim

Personally, I Stumbled Across a Product made by Eagle One Cleaning Supplies that I gotta admitt, I like, Even though some of there products leave a little to be desired, I Have found that "Eagle One Original Never Dull Wadding Polish" (Or as I call it Mouse Nest in a Can, as when you open the can thats what it sorta looks like) Works Great.

The Times I've used it, It's Polished Dull Metal Finish's Right Up!
And it doesn't Leave a Wax type Build up in the Small little Crevices like Some Products do.

Car Soap On the Other Hand Is kind've a Tuffy.........As that Varries, from brand to brand.
On my Personal Vehicles, I Use a Product Called "Cherry Bomb" which is made by the "Car Brite" Brand, And I've never Ran into any Problems with it, as Far as Staining or Damaging the Finish of the Car.

The bullet light housings are aluminum, and it will take a lot of polishing to get them bright and shinny again. The bullet light retainers are made of die cast, and were chromed, so there isn't much that can be done with them if they are pitted, except to have them re-chromed. Most of the bright work of the car is stainless steel, and as Ryan has said, Never Dull is a good cleaner/polish for stainless. I have never been fond of using steel wool on any surfaces, since it polishes by removing a very thin layer of metal, and puts scratches into the metal as it does this. There are aluminum cleaners that will remove a lot of the oxidation, but I am not certain what if anything that it will do to the painted finish. Sometimes, elbow grease is still the best cleaner.

most all the products out there will work. if mixed with the elbow grease. me I'm a finish rubbing compound kind of guy. the find stuff not the coarse one . those labeled finish compound. if it can be cleaned the will do it with out cutting threw a lot. do everything with it including the glass. the take a old paint brush and cut the bristles down to about a inch. use that to work the compound into and out of the cracks and hard to clean places. like the script. as for soap. that depends on you water. I have heard a lot of stories of what not to use. last year at the meet I used the shower soap out of the hotel room. a lot of other people did to. any good detergent rinse it well.

One thing NOT to use to wash the car though is dish washing soap (Dawn, palmolive etc) I have heard from many sources this will strip off your wax.
Speaking of wax, last fall I tried the turtle wax ICE. I love it!! You can wax a car fast, it takes me a couple hours to do a coach instead of 6 like it used to, plus you can do it in the sun. go over chrome, plastic, and it does not leave the white residue in cracks like other wax. Works really great on black cars, it repells the dust. After getting my cars out after sitting in the garage all winter, they had about as much dust on them as normally would be after a few days!
It will also make minor scratches dissapear for a while.

I've got that Same Exact Product John, I've heard good things about it, but haven't had a chance to try it out myself yet, But with the Weather finally coming around I think I might actually get to now!

Back