1962 Eureka Hearse rear wheel studs

Aloha

Does anyone know part number or where I can get 1962 Cadillac Eureka Hearse rear wheel studs?

I heard the rear end used in my Hearse was from a GM truck.

Thanks Ricky

The guy that did my brakes on my 73 Superior said the brakes looked exactly like a GM truck.

Could you take one to a parts store to have them matched up ?

Hopefully someone here will give you the part number or tell you where you can get them.

Good luck Rick,
Darren

It should be no trouble taking them to a good fastener place and matching them up. My mechanic had no trouble getting some for my 49. I bought some extras so I had some, and I think I have the part number somewhere, I will see if I can find it.

I took it to a Napa here in Honolulu and the guy said there were too many and had to know at least the make, model and approximate year.

I'm not even sure if the studs that were in it were correct. The Knurl on the stud was crushed to the point of being smooth. Like it was too big.

If we just some of the truck rear ends they used on these early 60's Hearse
that would a good start. Be nice to know also if you ever needed rear end seal
replacement on your Hearse.

Maybe someone has some old Eureka builder specifications.
Thank you.

I took it to a Napa here in Honolulu and the guy said there were too many and had to know at least the make, model and approximate year.

I'm not even sure if the studs that were in it were correct. The Knurl on the stud was crushed to the point of being smooth. Like it was too big.

If we just some of the truck rear ends they used on these early 60's Hearse
that would a good start. Be nice to know also if you ever needed rear end seal
replacement on your Hearse.

Maybe someone has some old Eureka builder specifications.
Thank you.

All you need to do is tell them its for a 1962 Cadillac commercial chassis, and the seals and other parts should be listed. Seals are much more than a standard car, but available. I couldn't find a part number listing for the replacement studs for my 49 S&S, but I bought a few extras so I had them on hand. The number on the end is 379 under that number is a W. No brand name so not sure how much it will help. They look identical to my originals.

Last edited:
John's stud experience remains an anomaly. I haven't first hand knowledge with a '49 then again that wasn't the question posed so not really sound advice for Ricky's '62. I do know late-'50s to early-'70s well enough to write on this subject.

If CC studs were readily available, they would not have been brought up countless times over last few years on numerous hearse forums by many people looking. Each has had the same problem not being able to locate exact replacements. Christin likewise would not have gone through the effort to have them machined if NAPA had them in stock.

If you have a friend at auto parts store, take a stud and start matching up behind counter. You can find many nearly perfect length, shoulder, threads and knurl that will match. Head on CC wheel stud is 1 1/8", much larger than the rest - which is the difference. Lay a dime on a quarter and you'll have an idea is size disparity. A friend with a '62 (same year, CC will all remain same regardless of coach builder) MM also found this out.

One can make a valid point stating that if the knurl remains tight a smaller hardened stud head would not pull through a hardened axle. Not a risk I personally would take. They were designed differently for a reason.

Another '73 hearse owner finally gave up after searching and searching. He figured out (with a micrometer and axle in hand) that mid-'70s Chevy trucks had 3 1/2" studs with a large enough head. Using them necessitated drilling slightly larger holes in drums and spacers, then cutting studs down to fit hubcaps. Can probably get a parts number from him if needed.

So as stated, not as easy as going down to local store and finding exact replacements. There isn't enough demand for CC wheel studs that they're currently made en mass. If you do happen to find some old stock - buy them! All. :)

The reason I brought up the 49 is if we found them for this it shouldn't be a problem for a 62. I will ask the mechanic the name of the place he got them from, I don't think it was a plain old auto part store, but some specialty shop. And yes, the head, length and threads are the same as my originals.
It may be because of where I live with all the farm equipment that makes parts easier, who knows, but they are out there. Just like the seals that Ive heard numerous times that they are not available, but they are. 49-somewhere in 60s used a lot of the same CC rear parts.
If Ricky would like to ship me one of his, I can see if the place my mechanic got them can match them up. Maybe not but very possible.

Last edited:
Thank you John for the suggestion.

I called USA parts supply they did not know that the 62 Commercial chassis rear wheel studs are bigger than the 62 Sedan however they have none of either.

I had and old spare 62 rear hub I got a long time ago and there were five new big studs in the box with it. I assumed that they were the the correct new studs. Mechanic said he tried to use those old studs to put my new drum but they were were too big could not fully press in. So now I am not sure they are correct. Guy at NAPA looked at my HUB and the studs my mechanic could not press in. Wanted him to find same but less diameter knurl. He could not come up with anything.

After reading Attila's post (thank you) I did some research and found that a 75 Chevy truck seemed to have what might be almost same size except longer. Had the same large head size of a quarter not size of a dime as is with the 62 Cadillac sedan.

The rivets dug into my old drum and the shop turned it for me since I did not have studs to mount new drum. They said it was OK for now but should be replaced in future. Thin drum. Not good for daily driver up and down the hill here in suburb of Honolulu.

Ricky Jones

Thank you John for the suggestion.

I called USA parts supply they did not know that the 62 Commercial chassis rear wheel studs are bigger than the 62 Sedan however they have none of either.

I had and old spare 62 rear hub I got a long time ago and there were five new big studs in the box with it. I assumed that they were the the correct new studs. Mechanic said he tried to use those old studs to put my new drum but they were were too big could not fully press in. So now I am not sure they are correct. Guy at NAPA looked at my HUB and the studs my mechanic could not press in. Wanted him to find same but less diameter knurl. He could not come up with anything.

After reading Attila's post (thank you) I did some research and found that a 75 Chevy truck seemed to have what might be almost same size except longer. Had the same large head size of a quarter not size of a dime as is with the 62 Cadillac sedan.

The rivets dug into my old drum and the shop turned it for me since I did not have studs to mount new drum. They said it was OK for now but should be replaced in future. Thin drum. Not good for daily driver up and down the hill here in suburb of Honolulu.

Ricky Jones

Thanks for the update. USA parts supply is usually pretty good at knowing what is different. Oh well, it was worth a shot.
Im glad Attis suggestion of the truck studs may work for you. I know the place my mechanic found mine would have to have an original one to match it.

Chevy truck studs work!

For 62 Cadillac Eureka Hearse studs are long discontinued.

Took some measurements and did a lot of checking online for studs early GM rear ends used. Could not find anything close from the 60's. Found the 1975 Chevy G30 (pickup truck?) 7.4L uses a Doorman #610188 stud with the large head. These are .620 knurl 9/16-18 thread 2-3/4" long with shoulder length
1-1/2". These fit perfect. We first tried the Doorman #610189 with .622 knurl and they were too tight.

So if you have a 62 Cadillac Eureka Hearse these fit. I expect these may fit other early 60's Commercial Chassis too.

Thanks for the idea to try truck studs!
Aloha
RIcky

For 62 Cadillac Eureka Hearse studs are long discontinued.

Took some measurements and did a lot of checking online for studs early GM rear ends used. Could not find anything close from the 60's. Found the 1975 Chevy G30 (pickup truck?) 7.4L uses a Doorman #610188 stud with the large head. These are .620 knurl 9/16-18 thread 2-3/4" long with shoulder length
1-1/2". These fit perfect. We first tried the Doorman #610189 with .622 knurl and they were too tight.

So if you have a 62 Cadillac Eureka Hearse these fit. I expect these may fit other early 60's Commercial Chassis too.

Thanks for the idea to try truck studs!
Aloha
RIcky

I wonder if those are the same ones my mechanic found for me. I don't know the numbers, but did find out they were Dormans.

John, Those Doormans would have the number 188 stamped on the head.
Next time you do a brake job and have the drum can see.

These are old application so better get em now before these are discontinued.
Got some spares from Rock Auto online.

Ricky

John, Those Doormans would have the number 188 stamped on the head.
Next time you do a brake job and have the drum can see.

These are old application so better get em now before these are discontinued.
Got some spares from Rock Auto online.

Ricky

I did get 5 extras that way if I needed some I would already have them, and not have to wait a couple days to get them. Im not too worried about not being able to get them, I will probably never even use the extras before I loose them.

Back