Buick Hearse

Not mine. Took this picture earlier today at B.O.S. Auto Parts in Windsor (3955 County Road 42 Windsor, ON N9A 6J3 (519) 969-4621) . Not a bad looking car, body could be described as fair to good minus the flames decals and the fake blower on the hood. Couldn't find the manufacturers name on the exterior anywhere.

6391675023_af88283338_b.jpg

those cheap hubcaps look really tacky. but I'll take a stab at the maker.
it a different streach you see the 12 inches added in the dog leg. that would be a clue the squair top, the standard glass and the aftermarket door bumper stripe down the side. so lets say it'a a B&B

I have no idea who the maker is. I was wondering tho if these station wagon coaches have fold down back seats or just a standard coach bed?

That is - or was - a Superior-Buick Precision Crown funeral coach. Although it was created using a stripped Buick Estate Wagon, the entire rear compartment was professionally done - folding seats removed. The car would have been better looking if the had taken the dog-leg out of the rear side doors. This was a car that competed directly with Eureka of Canada's line of Buick funeral cars. I believe that the Eureka products were better styled. They had full commerial glass, a longer wheelbase, more spacious interiors and were not converted station wagons - nor did they look like converted wagons. They looked like true profesional cars and were available in a complete range of models - on Electra and LeSabre chassis - in both landau and limousine body styles.

the dog leg throws me. the only other one I have seen I thought had a square rear door. the the superior script right on the crown. no I take that back it has a center stretch between the doors. still got the dog leg. knew there was something different. but the script is the glue on fall off kind so it's easily removed. same squared off roof

Attachments

• 1976 superior buick chassie 2.JPG
    1976 superior buick chassie 2.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 293
Initially, these "Superior" Buicks weren't even built by Superior. They were the brainchild of Tom Earnhart and were produced in Fort Smith for Superior by Armbruster. This began in about 1975 and was the first dealings Armbruster really had with Superior prior to Earnhart buying professional car operations of Superior from Sheller-Globe Corporation - which, in turn, had purchased it from the Shields family in August of 1968. These Buicks reflected Earnharts manner of doing things on the "cheap". Converting a station wagon with a minimum of body styling alterations. This philosophy of utilizing modestly altered wagons continued on all subsequent Superior-built Buick and Chevrolet coaches until these less costly alternatives to the Cadillacs were discontinued.

the dog leg throws me. the only other one I have seen I thought had a square rear door. the the superior script right on the crown. no I take that back it has a center stretch between the doors. still got the dog leg. knew there was something different. but the script is the glue on fall off kind so it's easily removed. same squared off roof

I always liked the look of the stretch between the doors.

Back