window name plates

John Zicha

PCS Member / EMT / PARAMEDIC
I want to order some side window nameplates for our 1970 Cadillac Superior. What size are the letters and what lettering style? Where they all the same or was it a design specific option per manufacturer? I found a couple of sites to order from unless someone has an "in" somewhere with ordering them.
Also, I'm going to be ordering a new sign for our sign board. I was going to have a local place just make something up. Again, if someone knows of a good place to recreate these, I might just use that instead.
Thanks
John

Names Unlimited in Ohio, is generally the preferred company to make up the aluminum door signs. Discuss with them exactly what you want, and size, because every order for signs is up to the customer.
As for the roof sign, you will need to find a sign company that still is working with translucent paints for backlit signs. They start off with a piece of clear plastic, and then they make a vinyl sign pattern with the letters cut out that is "glued" to the inside of the plastic. Then the pattern is sprayed with red translucent sign paint. Next step is to remove the pattern, and to spray the complete backside of the piece of plastic with white translucent paint. That is how they were originally done by Superior. It isn't a difficult process, but it does take time, and the paint is both lead based or non lead based, but either way it is very costly. Also, it takes a level of expertise to apply the paint evenly. I need some signs made for my 1978 Superior, and when I get to that point, I am going to have a local restoration shop the I use do them for me. He is an excellent painter that will get it right the first time.
For those reason, most sign makers will just put vinyl letters on a piece of white plastic, and say that is all that is available to do today. There is another choice, but it is also expensive, and that is to have translucent vinyl lettering applied to the white translucent plastic and call it a day. It isn't quite the same as original, and most people wouldn't know the difference, however, the material is expensive, and they would have to purchase a whole roll of red translucent vinyl which is also very expensive. That is the reason that most sign companies will use standard vinyl to make the lettering out of.
Personally, I think that the plastic signs are something that you do when you are in the final stretch of the restoration, not before. Putting the signs in and out isn't a good idea, since the screws go into fiberglass, and each time you remove and replace them, the hole deteriorates. Also, you have to seal the signs against water, and you don't want to risk damaging your new signs by removing them and then reinstalling them.
When you get around to the signs, consider using LED lighting behind them in place of the original incandescent lamps. Much brighter and will last probably forever.

Why not just go with NOS on the lighted plastic signs?? They are available and correct. I have spares that I got from the Gene Knisley estate. Gene had boxes full of them that he bought from Superior.

NOS lighted signs(lenses) are available with both "AMBULANCE" & "EMERGENCY" wordage and came from Superior Coach Co. (The front sign was standard equipment on the 51" & 54" ambulances, but the light behind the sign was optional!)

Names Unlimited in Ohio,

Any ideas if they are still doing them? Placed a order over 3 months ago, sent emails and no answer back ph# I have does not work. Thanks

Names Unlimited in Ohio,

Be very patient. I was very happy with the end result.

I have bought many from them , never this long a wait . I have no problem with waiting but zero return on emails on a simple inquiry on the order status is no way to run a business.

Why not just go with NOS on the lighted plastic signs?? They are available and correct. I have spares that I got from the Gene Knisley estate. Gene had boxes full of them that he bought from Superior.

How much are you willing to sell them for. I can use 3 myself. thanks

Those that I have, which came from the Gene Knisely estate, will only fit the front and rear frames. The side frames are larger. I have both "Emergency" and "Ambulance" signs. I will have to see what I have when I get home.

Any ideas if they are still doing them? Placed a order over 3 months ago, sent emails and no answer back ph# I have does not work. Thanks

I received some as a Christmas gift last year. My mom got them for me, she said she ordered in late November and said they were a Christmas gift and they had them ready in less than a month. I was very happy with them. Was this the email you used? info@namesunlimitedcorp.com

I know a few years ago, the owner had some health issues, and he shut down the operation for a while so he could recover his health. After that, the was always responsive to customers, and his work was always spot on. Possibly he might of had a relapse, and it is beyond his control for now.

I have bought many from them , never this long a wait . I have no problem with waiting but zero return on emails on a simple inquiry on the order status is no way to run a business.

I can't disagree with you Dan. Wish your experience was different.

There are other options. They are not the only ones in that business.

True, but Church & Chapel, etc. do not seem to make them in the "old style." I can't tell the difference between new ones from them and period-correct originals from the coach-builders. The Funeral Supply companies primarily seem to be sourcing all from the same handful of sources, including Names Unlimited. Besides Church & Chapel, there seems to be another supplier but their block lettering is too "new."

Back