Memorial Day 2015

The Memorial Day weekend is upon us. Cookouts, baseball games, races, and a host of other things will occupy our time. Please take a few moments and pause to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice that we may actually enjoy these weekends.

"While many Americans recognize Memorial Day as the official start of summer, it is important that we pause and reflect on the sacrifices of the hundreds of thousands of men and women who have fallen in service to our nation. Through their dedication to country, they have upheld our values of liberty, justice and self-determination. We will proudly join our fellow Americans in honoring these brave individuals who have voluntarily given their lives for the sake of freedom. We also remember the families of our Armed Forces, who know personally the sacrifices made in service top our great nation. As Americans, we are called to do our part to uphold the ideals for which these individuals have given so much. We would also like to thank our veterans for their service to our nation, and join with them as we remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice." From the web-site of our bank, I thought it very appropriate.

I've never seen it more simply put than this, on a sign in a church down the block: IN MEMORY OF MANY, IN HONOR OF ALL.

This year Mackenzie (granddaughter) and the Daisy Scout Troop she belongs to went to the Bellevue Cemetery and helped place flags on graves. She thought that seemed pretty important....she is starting to "get it".

As in previous years, Monday morning we will all go over to the Ohio Veterans Home in Sandusky. There is a Remembrance Ceremony in the home cemetery before the parade up to Oakland Cemetery. There is something extremely powerful yet very humbling about walking those grounds. Very hard to keep the eyes dry. I've noticed over the past several year a rather disturbing trend....simply, more white headstones, and fewer "old guys". Very sad indeed. It's our way of making a very small payment on a huge debt we owe them.

To all who died in service to our country, a heartfelt "Thank You", may God hold them and their families in His loving hands, and grant them eternal peace and rest.

In loving memory of Rick Albright, Larry Libbee, Jack Lundell and Craig Roydes, little boys from my far distant past. We used to play "war", they did it for real, and paid the ultimate price.

all gave some, some gave all. monday is the day we remember those that gave all. so the some could have the free choice to do what they want with all of it. I will go up the the South Dakota state soldiers home to once again honor those that gave all. least we forget some that gave all did not die. some returned a empty shell never to be functional again. like my good friend Wally who survived the Bataan death march and incarceration only to come home a shell. to live out his live in long term care at the Hot springs VA facility till they determent in central office that his up keep was to expensive to continue. so he along with 50 others were farmed out to nursing homes across the state t save money. Wallie is still alive today and I got to see him on a regular basis as he and my Grandmother were in the same home. say hello to him if you stop by he most likly will not answer but usually return a smile. he along with others gave up all so we could enjoy all today.

Back