Rust issues...

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Almost all Professional Cars have a rust problem or two, no matter how well they have been cared for. My Chrysler has a rust hole in front of the rear wheel, and one behind the rear wheel. These will be repaired before the damage gets any worse. Here are the before pictures...

Attachments

• MVC-005L.JPG
    MVC-005L.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 110
  • MVC-006L.JPG
    MVC-006L.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 105
  • MVC-008L.JPG
    MVC-008L.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 108
  • MVC-010L.JPG
    MVC-010L.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 102
This picture is of the underside of the quarter panel. What is most interesting is that the quarter panel itself isn't rusted along the entire bottom, just the back side where the body builder added onto the quarter panel. This is the only other rust in the car, and it is clearly visible, that being the curb side, it got most of the road salt, slush, and sand thrown up there. It is my guess that when the car was built by Pinner, they didn't rustproof any of these areas very well. When I took the front door panel off I found that the entire inside of the door was totally rustproofed, including, but not limited to the door locking mechanism and cylinder. I think that this is why this car is so well preserved in all the other areas. I am glad that this car has always been garaged, and not left to rust away like so many others. :)

Attachments

• MVC-009L.JPG
    MVC-009L.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 129
a lot of times they will rust way until they get the hole. then the panel will drain and the rust does not grow a lot more. but bet you need to add a couple 0s just to get it patched. it's a small enough spot that they should be able to keep the repair down to were spotting it back in is a easy task. that and the panel is usually not faded down that low. adding that right amount of fader to the paint is tricky. :rolleyes:

Picked the car up, and all is fixed. Next is painting to finish the repair.

Attachments

• MVC-008L.JPG
    MVC-008L.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 115
  • MVC-009L.JPG
    MVC-009L.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 111
  • MVC-010L.JPG
    MVC-010L.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 125
  • MVC-011L.JPG
    MVC-011L.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 98
looks good but next time ask them not to tape it off. the tape line is something to sand out when your getting it ready to spot. ;)

Nice. I need similar for my 60, and not enough that I want to replace entire panels.

it has to be really bad to change the panel, most of the time when you do that you create more problems then you solve. a patch panel in the trouble spot is always better.

Back