Sad Day in Detroit

There is a '70's Superior Cadillac ambulance in their fenced lot - I shot photos through the fence. Alas, there is nothing left ahead of the cowl, not even frame rails.

(snip)

It's probably prohibitively expensive to restore, but there looks to be some usable parts (glass and such).

'72 Superior 54 has not been scrapped yet. American originally purchased secondhand as a parts coach for doors & engine. Every piece of sheet metal & rear bumper is too far gone. Contact Marc if you need (mainly) glass or cabinet. A few other trim & interior components remain usable.

16218736737_ce3857b788_b.jpg

Attachments

• american 1.jpg
    american 1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2
Going........Going.......................

Unfortunately, with more and more nozzle jockeys getting into the ambulance biz the privates are getting pushed farther and farther out of business. I heard AMR isn't doing that well. I know around here a lot of the FDs won't even call the privates for assistance or extra units anymore. My question is, who is going to do all of the invalid transfers when the privates have been run into the ground like they did the funeral homes?

government takeover

The answer may be that the fire departments want the invalid transfer work as well. About 15 years ago Mansfield Ambulance had a contract with the City of Galion to provide, exclusively, "emergency medical service" to the city. The fire department bought an ambulance and started making invalid transfers and billing for them as a revenue maker. Mansfield Ambulance sued, saying it was a breach of the contract and that they needed the invalid work to make ends meet in order to provide the emergency service. The local court told MAS "tough beans". Mansfield Ambulance appealed and won in the appeals court. I still can't understand a legal theory by which a tax supported organization is permitted to bill the taxpayer for the services it provides, thus making the taxpayer pay twice.

Those crusty driver's doors would make for great wall art, just as they are!!

Having an original American car I would love a piece of American history like that. I fear it is a little far for me to drive though to try and get one. Heck, I would love an American shoulder flash.

That ambulance's driver's door is worth more as wall art than it is as a repairable door because of its graphics. I buy and sell a lot of doors with old, crusty graphics and the demand for this type of thing is increasing. Here are examples of some that I have picked up in the recent past. I wouldn't even consider selling these to someone that was going to paint them.

Attachments

• Chev. Truck Door.jpg
    Chev. Truck Door.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_20150113_132959_554.jpg
    IMG_20150113_132959_554.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 350
  • ResizedImage_1422822211559.jpg
    ResizedImage_1422822211559.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 336
so someone that needs a door loses out the the retro restaurant. I know of one that has a full set of nice Commercial chassis wheels welded in a row of others. what ever :confused:

If you want a wringer washer, Mark has about 7 of them in the building.

Problem is he wants a 100.00 bucks for one.

I make neat drink coolers out of the old ones. ('40s-'50s with legs)

Darren

P.S. The place is still full of junk so picking may work out in your favor if you ever get to stop by.

I can sill fix you up with other C.C. doors, if you need one Ed. I don't scrap anything that someone might use.

Back