1964 Pontiac Superior Ambulance

Hello All:

I am the proud owner of a 1964 Pontiac Ambulance. It's completely original and in "mint" condition. It seems to have all the normal equipment except the siren.

Here's the complete info:
Model: Pontiac, 1964
Builder: Superior Coach Co., Kosciusko, MS
Build Date: Jan 31, 1964
Model No.: 505
Sill No.: OP-15
VIN No.: 884P74558

Superior Coaches (Lima, OH) says there were 67 of these models made, of which mine was the 15th. They were not able to help me any further.

So here's the question: To complete the auto, I would like to find the original model of siren. I don't even know if it was either the air turbine or electronic type.

Could any of you knowledgeable gentlemen please help me to locate (1) the type and model of siren, and (2) where I might obtain one of these items? I would appreciate any information (or history) I can get very much.

Thank you all in advance,
John Moniak
Panama City Beach, FL
850-234-8078
jmoniak@att.net

Please post photos of the car as well as of the original siren mounting holes (you need to be a site supporter to have photo posting privileges).

Where did this car serve originally, and from whom did you acquire it? This information will be helpful as someone here may have photos of her in a past life.

?siren

If I could echo Steve L suggestion. If you could post several pictures, board members will be able to provide you with excellent advise on what might be appropriate options for your car.
Best of success!!
:smileflagcan:

I'll partially agree; pics should help substantially but one doesn't have to become a site supporter to post them (only attach). Pick your favorite free web uploading site (Photobucket, ImageShack, Flickr, etc.) then throw 'em in the post. ;)

Welcome John. I'm sure you'll find that there's a wealth of information here and everyone is more than willing to answer your questions. Can't wait to see some pictures of your ambulance!

Welcome to you. My '64 Superior Pontiac had a Federal model 28 behind the drivers side grille. I see them for sale on Ebay frequently and at pretty good prices.

Welcome John

Did you have a chance to get a copy of the Superior pamphlet for that year or the service manual? You will see from these publications what was available in 64. However, even if they list specific sirens, it does not mean that the original owner actualy ordered the car with any of those.

As you will find, half of the fun of this hobby is the detective work associated with it.

Welcome, John. I, too, have a '64 Superior Pontiac ambulance. Please do join the PCS (blue box at the top of the page). You will meet a lot of folks with similar interests and perhaps similar vehicles. There are several members in Florida.

As for the siren, it most likely would have had an electric motor siren (not as likely to have had an electronic, though certainly possible). As others have said, we can guess based on photos.

My ambulance has a Sireno siren, not a Federal, by the way. So there was some variation.

Good luck, and we hope to see you and the ambulance at a PCS Meet soon!

Back