Considered a procar?

Checker's Medicar Ambulance Limousine

The Medicar was marketed as an ambulance/wheelchair car/passenger car. I have an ad from Oct. 1969 from a trade magazine. My former employee gave me several publications that include professional cars from 1960s and 1970s. It says the car serves as an ambulance, can convert to hold 3 wheel chairs and serve as a passenger car. If any one wants the ad let me know. Peace

Another for consideration - Could a 2D coupe be a limousine? A friend turned up a weird all original Imperial, which led to researching what exactly it is. (Thank you Kurt Arends for pointing a direction.) Turns out being a '68 Imperial Mobile Director Coupe.

Fascinating read on the Imperial Club website about these '67-'68 coupes. $597.40 in '67 was a ton of money for this option. It seems few were ever made and today are exceedingly rare.

To summarize, the passenger seat swiveled 180 degrees to face rearward. (On a sedan, the post got in the way of having a 180 degree swiveling seat.) A table folded out of where center console would go, and a high powered lamp plugged into one of four available outlets. Intent was to get work done while being driven to/from work, either solely or via a secretary taking dictation.

A few such cars are available for viewing on the above provided link. Google search turned these up:

3590396075_f35eae2563_o.jpg

3156479737_9efbc492ae_b.jpg

My friend is picking up the '68 initially mentioned today. I'll visit Saturday and photo document.

So>>>>>>>By PCS definition a limo?

Another for consideration - Could a 2D coupe be a limousine? A friend turned up a weird all original Imperial, which led to researching what exactly it is. (Thank you Kurt Arends for pointing a direction.) Turns out being a '68 Imperial Mobile Director Coupe.

Fascinating read on the Imperial Club website about these '67-'68 coupes. $597.40 in '67 was a ton of money for this option. It seems few were ever made and today are exceedingly rare.

To summarize, the passenger seat swiveled 180 degrees to face rearward. (On a sedan, the post got in the way of having a 180 degree swiveling seat.) A table folded out of where center console would go, and a high powered lamp plugged into one of four available outlets. Intent was to get work done while being driven to/from work, either solely or via a secretary taking dictation.

A few such cars are available for viewing on the above provided link. Google search turned these up:

3590396075_f35eae2563_o.jpg

3156479737_9efbc492ae_b.jpg

My friend is picking up the '68 initially mentioned today. I'll visit Saturday and photo document.

So>>>>>>>By PCS definition a limo?

Just when you thought you have seen everything something like this shows up!! I would not consider it a professional car though, but would be cool to own.

I keep it simple. I own two hearses. Will own an ambulance, flower car or a limo stretched a couple feet or have 6 doors. No room for doubt as to what it is considered.

To Kaleb,although it is not quite a pro-car,it is still a very unique unit,being one of the first of the modern units,and not a slapped together van with shelves,worth the restoration,and would be great to see at shows,billed as the "next generation" and if they don't stop the ghostbusters,and others who un-pro-car great units this may well be the new pro-car class. :soapbox::smileflagcan:

Can anyone fill in any info on this car currently listed on Craigslist? I tried searching the forums and the web, but didn't find much info. Were these coach-built? Production numbers?

http://burlington.craigslist.org/atq/3021407325.html
Cadillac station-wagon 1989 - $6800 (Sherbrooke, Quebec)

Date: 2012-05-17, 2:35PM EDT
Reply to: qtn6c-3021407325@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Very rare.
9 passengers
Dark blue in and out

Attachments

• 89caddywagon1.jpg
    89caddywagon1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 546
  • 89caddywagon2.jpg
    89caddywagon2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 629
Can anyone fill in any info on this car currently listed on Craigslist? I tried searching the forums and the web, but didn't find much info. Were these coach-built? Production numbers?

http://burlington.craigslist.org/atq/3021407325.html
Cadillac station-wagon 1989 - $6800 (Sherbrooke, Quebec)

Date: 2012-05-17, 2:35PM EDT
Reply to: qtn6c-3021407325@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Very rare.
9 passengers
Dark blue in and out
That appears to be a R.S. Harper conversion look in my photo album or American Custom Coach. i have the build shots of one.also in my photo album most where built to order , at a cost in the high 50's unsure on how many where made. while i worked at R.S. Harper there where 2 built both went to texas while i was there. but there was binder full of conversions like this the donor car was a late 70' early 80's gm full size impala . caprice wagon R.S. Harper closed in late 91.

Last edited:
'65 as seen on Imperial Club website where more images can be viewed. Actual flower car? If so, who converted? It does have a couple flower car characteristics, like behind seat storage and vinyl roof. Appears to have a plastic backlite though.

00124s.jpg

00166s.jpg

'65 as seen on Imperial Club website where more images can be viewed. Actual flower car? If so, who converted? It does have a couple flower car characteristics, like behind seat storage and vinyl roof. Appears to have a plastic backlite though.

This car had been advertised for sale on the Imperial Club's site, without photos, for over a year. I emailed the seller for information and photos, and it took four months for them to respond. Anyway, based on the photos I received, which I did not keep, I'm of the opinion that this is another hillbilly El Camino, nothing more.

Real, or fake, I do like the looks of it.

Oh I like the looks of it too. It looks better done than most luxury-car-turned-pickup conversions that I've seen. I think it would make a dandy flower car. I'm simply stating that I don't beleive it is now or has been a flower car.

I'm of the opinion that this is another hillbilly El Camino, nothing more.

Oh I like the looks of it too. It looks better done than most luxury-car-turned-pickup conversions that I've seen.

Internal power struggle or multiple personalities? :p

There are some surviving vintage car based truck conversions that are incredible in terms of design, detail, and execution. Most do fail horribly. Another discussion for another day~

Another Jetway owner

Hi,
I recently purchased a 68 Jetway and I would like to connect up with your friend with the 66/67.

Please send me a note, I would love to hear how his is coming along..

Brad

Adam, that strikes me as odd! So by default all airport limousines are not procars by PCS rules? Wow. Never even considered that they wouldn't be. Can't grasp that logic. Seems a more natural fit for discussion here than any truck based period unit for example, which is common.

Paul, thanks for bringing up the Jetway 707. I was going to start a new thread looking for info but seems apropos in this one now.

A friend saved this '66 Jetway 707 from the crusher. Literally happened to stop in as yard employees were trying to figure the best way (ie cut or fold in half) to fit in the crushing machine. Turns out it isn't rusty (although it looks like crapola). All the raised commercial glass (yep, raised glass but not a professional car?) is good. Think only pieces missing are exterior windshield trim. He even picked up a clean, tight, low mileage original '66 Tornado as a front clip/drivetrain donor.

So here is the question he wants answered... How/why is this a '66 when 'production' did not start until '68?

Yes, this was a chore fitting the entire 28' in frame~

dsc04237ex.jpg

dsc04239xi.jpg

dsc04238g.jpg

Background info from coachbuilt.com here. 1st pic there shows a '66/'67 illustration. Only other '66/'67 on net is the example below (obviously not same Jetway my friend owns), as the rest are all '68s.

66jetway707.jpg

Any knowledge about this or other existing '66/'67 Jetway 707s much appreciated. Owner would love hearing from you.

Somehow, I missed the conversation about whether a Jetway 707 is a pro-car or not.

From our very general definitions, there's no reason it would not be a professional car. Airport limos are limousines, with stretched chassis, custom bodies, and used for transportation for hire. For the same reason a 6-door limo is a pro-car, so is this.

OK, just because it has a "great personality" ;) doesn't mean it's not welcome. After all, you let me in.... :cool:

To be a livery car or limousine means more than just that it's a chauffeur driven, personal luxury car. It takes into account seating capacity in the rear, which would need to be more than three. There's a little more to the definitions, but the point here would be the seating issue.

Fair enough. How about the '51 Chrysler Imperial Phaeton then? They appear to have two rows of seating in rear compartment.

3 were built and given to the cities of Los Angeles, New York, and Detroit. Los Angeles and New York still own theirs, using them in official ceremonies. Detroit belonged to a private collector for years before changing hands a couple times and ending up in Peterson Museum.

All 3 cars returned to Chrysler for refreshing in '55 and were then updated with '56 features.

7722215040_b648eb8b1b_z.jpg

Factory.jpg

Factory2.jpg

6494497289_08bff5df3d_b.jpg

Here is the Peterson car next to the Los Angeles car from a Christmas parade.

6494492223_552fd7b26e_b.jpg

jetway

ok here goes. our family had (passed away) who decided to make one in to a hearse and seating for pallbearers also. thought he had come across a million dollar idea(?). car was from a parking lot at hobby airport back in the day( around 71 or 2). he installed a rack and left 2 rows of seats in the car and painted it black. did not work out as it never got usefull enough usage to warrant its existence. plus it wouldnt fit in the garage. became a running joke to other fun homes. turned the seat behind the front seat facing the front facing back seat. installed carpet and such and after many dollars spent had a decent looking car. that made it into a procar in my view. wasn't born a coach but became one anyway. after sliding sideways on a slick street it became u shaped and susequently was stripped and crushed. the motor was bolted into a 69 gmc 3/4 ton pickup and mounts welded to frame. my brother drove the truck until 77 and pulled a hose trailer with it. was great until 4:11 gears limited its highway speeds. was a torque monster though. ran out of gear at 65 or 70. wont say who had the great idea other than it wasnt me. but the great inventor was really close to me. id say pro car all the way. checker handi cab also. my humble but skewed opinion.

Back