62 center carrier bearing

Aloha all,

My 62 Cadillac Eureka Center carrier bearing and support need replacement again after only two years. Maybe the other mechanic I used to go to did installed something incorrect as should last longer.

New mechanic said the rubber center support is broke up and bearing damaged. I left a new bearing and support in the car for them to change and they don't seem to know what they are doing judging by their questions on the phone. They said the new bearing must be too large as it just slides onto the shaft and that it is not tight fit. Book does not say bearing has to be pressed onto shaft or fit tight. They said the ID of the new bearing I gave them is 30MM. Is this the correct size? Does it just slide on? Also why do we need to pack "water pump" grease between center bearing and slinger? After all the new bearing is sealed. Any advice appreciated. Ricky

darn kids. first of all it not MM it's inches on yours. the bearing doesn't have to be pressed but should fit snug enough that it spins in the race not the race turning on the shaft. if your old one spun on the shaft so that it wore a grove one could use some permatex bearing and stud mount glue on it. but if you got one of the Chinese bearings it might have lasted only 2 years. no grease between the bearing ad the rubber. the rubber should hold it snug. it should not turn in the rubber

Thank you John.

The mechanic called and said it was 30MM (1.1811 inches) and that it just slid on easy so I thought I might have the wrong bearing. I will go down and check it out to see if there is a groove worn on shaft. I don't think there is or they would have told me.

Anyone know a source or the part number for Timken or other maker for made in USA center bearing?

Does anyone know the correct ID of the bearing?
I bet Paul does. Please Paul request your help again.
Thank you

I haven't dealt with carrier bearings in more than 35 years, and I don't have any current experience with them. I do know that a shop that repairs trucks should have no trouble fixing you up, since they are common on trucks. Richard Vyse just went through the same thing, and his mechanic found something that worked. When I know the subject, I will be the first to jump in when I see the post. When I don't, I know enough to be quiet.... This is one of those times.

I might be wrong but i was under the impression that the carrier bearing was the same from 59 to 76 . The spare on i have is a napa bearing 6908-val

Sorry to hear about your luck with the bearing. I had the same issue with my 75 Criterion and this is what we did.

We used a new support and bearing from a new General Motors van. The bearing was tight but with a little effort slid onto the shaft. The real issues was making the new mount work and my mechanic had to trim and weld in a new support of it. The original mounted directly to the frame whereas this one mounts from the top. If I happen to locate an original one I can remount it with no issues.

I drove it on the expressway Saturday at 75 mph and it was smooth as glass.

Good luck my friend.

Attachments

• IMG_0203[1].jpg
    IMG_0203[1].jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_6799[1].jpg
    IMG_6799[1].jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 176
Center support

Hi Richard,

Damper Doctor in Redding, CA (530) 246-2984 should be able to re-valconize the rubber on your old one. They make their own molds. Cost me $200. They can also get and install the bearing at additional $50 or so. Steele Rubber cheaper but could not do mine.

Mine failed due to bearing clip not installed and bearing worked its way out and spin on shaft damaging shaft. Wore the shaft down and new bearing was loose so had to repair and machine shaft. Wonder what my FORMER mechanic did with the clip that holds bearing in? I had to get one from junk yard. That was a job to find.

Good luck.

Also thanks to all for input and advise!

Support Bearing Clip

.....Wonder what my FORMER mechanic did with the clip that holds bearing in? I had to get one from junk yard. That was a job to find.....

Ricky, the clip was probably left on the shop floor and the guy saw there after he installed the bearing and thought to himself 'Oops, I forgot to install that....Nah, it's not important anyway, the bearing spins without it.' :pat:

Don

Hi Richard,

Damper Doctor in Redding, CA (530) 246-2984 should be able to re-valconize the rubber on your old one. They make their own molds. Cost me $200. They can also get and install the bearing at additional $50 or so. Steele Rubber cheaper but could not do mine.

Mine failed due to bearing clip not installed and bearing worked its way out and spin on shaft damaging shaft. Wore the shaft down and new bearing was loose so had to repair and machine shaft. Wonder what my FORMER mechanic did with the clip that holds bearing in? I had to get one from junk yard. That was a job to find.

Good luck.

Also thanks to all for input and advise!

That is FANTASTIC news and will get in contact with them. Thanks for the information.

Back