"Check Engine" light

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
The "Check Engine" light on my 1996 S&S Cadillac hearse lit up this week-end. I'm thinking about purchasing a code reader to try to fix this myself. Can anyone recommend a good reader to purchase, or should I just bite the bullet and bring the car to a mechanic? Jim

it a 50-50 chance you can do anything to it by your self. a code reader will let you know what the car thinks is wrong in code. you then have to have the book to decipher the code. some times it's as simple as putting the gas cap back on and others it it's a trace out the system to find were the tank is loosing presser. one can spend a lot of money using the shot gun approach of changing parts till the light goes out or bite the big one drop it off and hope for something simple.

but to answer your question harbor from 49.99 to 134.99 in there new just in yesterday hot buy flier. as cheap a code reader as cheap and any.

dang blew that one Harbor freight to my editing and spell correction thanks for cover for me Todd

Last edited:
Look in your owners manual. Most Cadillacs of that vintage can give you the trouble codes by pushing a button or 2 on the information center

The "Check Engine" light on my 1996 S&S Cadillac hearse lit up this week-end. I'm thinking about purchasing a code reader to try to fix this myself. Can anyone recommend a good reader to purchase, or should I just bite the bullet and bring the car to a mechanic? Jim

I use one from car quest that is about 50.00. It will tell you enough to know where to look but may not tell you what to do about it. THey work great. Sometimes things just pop up. I have reset the light before and never came back on. Depends what it is. Sometimes just messing with gas cap will fix it. Code reader may say evap code which is sometimes gas cap. If you don't want to buy one go to advance auto parts or some of the others and they will read code for you at no charge in hopes of selling you some parts for it.

Harbor Freight sells one for around $40, or $32 with a 20% off coupon that will work. I used to use it on my 96 Impala.

I have heard you can scan for the code through the climate control center on all GM models. With key turned to "run", push both "up" and "down" fan control buttons for 10 seconds and the screen will tell you the error code. Anyone ever try this?

Codes

Look in your owners manual. Most Cadillacs of that vintage can give you the trouble codes by pushing a button or 2 on the information center

To check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes stored in the computer, turn the ignition on, then hold down the OFF and WARMER (for digital dash) or OFF and passenger-WARMER buttons (for analog dash) or OFF and "Info ^" buttons (if you have temperature dials) until all of the dash lights come on. The digital display will then show any codes stored. Be prepared to write them down. When it's done, you will probably see "PCM?" At that point, press the OFF button 3 or 4 times until the dash goes back to normal, or just turn off the ignition.

You can also bring it to any auto parts store and they will always be glad to put their reader on for you and tell you what codes come up, and won't charge you a dime. I know NAPA and Auto Zone do this as a free service, and probably all the others do too.

I have heard you can scan for the code through the climate control center on all GM models. With key turned to "run", push both "up" and "down" fan control buttons for 10 seconds and the screen will tell you the error code. Anyone ever try this?

yes Jim I have. Then i went on to the Cadillac Forums to decypher the codes

Back