Just picked up the 1969 Superior Ambulance

We will be driving from London,Ontario to Albany starting today.I hav just discovered that I do not have a spare.Does anyone have a spare tire they would like to sell that may be along the way.Even if you will have one in Albany it still might be a help.Please respond to this post as I will check the board along the way. Doug

I can give you a tire if you can find a rim.. I have a NOS Goodyear 8.90 x 15 (???) in the garage.

I have tires and rims and they are together with air. but I'm a long way from you. just don't think about it you'll be OK. besides what good is a wheel and tire if you don't have a jack or lug wrench. because if there is no spar why would there be a jack?

Your right John, there is no jack but there is a tire iron. I will be buying decent jack today so worst case is if I have a flat I will be able to take it off the car and get a new tire installed.

alternative

Best to pick up a 12v Tire inflator,couple of cans of quick seal/emergency tire filler, and a tire repair kit. Unless its a big blowout, the quick fill will get you off the freeway and then you can take it off, vent it carefully ( they use butane for pressure) then ream out the hole and stick in a rubber repair strip and fill it back up. I've done it in the past quite successfully.

Best to pick up a 12v Tire inflator,couple of cans of quick seal/emergency tire filler, and a tire repair kit...
Probably better off with an air tank than the tire inflator (takes forever) and can of tire filler.

..you can take it off, vent it carefully...then ream out the hole and stick in a rubber repair strip and fill it back up. I've done it in the past quite successfully.
I've done this successfully many times without taking the tire off or deflating it.

The spare tire was the least of my problems...I will report in detail the trials and tribulations of picking up a car that is unknown to you ans setting off on a 400 mile journey.I thought for one minute that the car wanted the hard luck award (I did not).....More about that later.. The car is now sitting in the parking lot of the Albany hotel.

the rest of us that arent at the meet want to know!!!!......ok, so you drive the beast 400 miles from London, Ontario to Albany....whats your plan to get it back to Australia?

Doug, you can relax a little now since you made it across the border into the U.S. i hope you have a good time at Albany & glad to hear you made it this far! We'll be following your "hard luck" story but hopefully the rest of your trip goes smoothly.

Rick,The quick answer to that is after the meet I am going to drive the car to Linden NJ and put it into a 40 foot container to Sydney. Its amazing how much personality these cars have...Our travelling partnet Stuart Rowe commented on arrival at Albany that there wasn't a single drop or drip coming from the car.......next morning there was coolant everywhere!!!! The rule now is Don't talk around the car...It might hear you...

Back