Fire Extingusher, where to get, what type/size??

Dana Bennett

PCS Life Member
I fugured maybe this is important enough that it belongs in the general discussion area, not sure if it has already been discussed??

As I am getting ready for Hudson I am thinking about safety. I have had a fire ext. for my car but need to find where I put it. However I am thinking I may be better off buying a NEW one for my car.

What size should I have??

What type is best to carry in a vehice??

Where is the best place to buy what I need at the best price??

Where is the best place to store/secure a fire ext in my coach??
(I normally kept mine next to the trans hump on the passenger floorboard -not attached- but don't think it's a very good spot)

i know it is in the rules of most all shows to have one but think it's just a good idea anyways.

Dana Bennett.

Bigger is better, and a A/B/C extinguisher is best for overall use. Keep it behind the front seat where you can get at it easily. Also, in the event of a fire, close all windows asap, get out, and close the doors. Just don't lock them. Also, bolt cutters are great for cutting the battery wire, in the event of an electrical fire. Just one more thing to carry. All of this will slow the spread of the fire.

I usually put mine between the driver front seat and partition, that way it is accessably easy. You can get them most anywhere, I got mine at Wal Mart. Dont forget to pick up a set of wheel chocks while there.

You kind of get what you pay for.

Note that most of the inexpensive extinguishers out there are throwaway extinguishers, plastic handles and fittings, etc. While they should do the job, if you wish (or are required) to have your extinguisher certified, or have it tested and/or refilled at a later date, you'll want to step up to something constructed with better materials, probably in the $40-$60 range, like some in the Badger brand we sell, or similar. (We have to disappoint people all week when they bring in the cheap ones asking to have them re-filled or certified.) I'd ask my fire extinguisher department for exact details, but I'm the only one crazy enough to be in the office on a nice Sunday like today.)
A website I found http://fireextinguisherinspection.org/

If you have any questions you can ask our two "experts", Richard Vyse or Jeremy Ledford!:agree::drive2:

Jeremy is the expert in what "Not to do" with a chock. You know, forgot about it and just drive over the thing. :pat:

I can assure you that the proper wheel chock is required at a PCS event. Wal*Mart offers right, left, front, and rear tire chocks. PCS logo is an option but does score points.

Fire Extinguishers-worth their weight in gold

Many of you know that i drive a car carrier for a living.about 6 years ago i had an electrical fire in the wiring harness underneath my truck. a 40 dollar extinguisher saved my company about 325 thousand dollars.don't ever leave home without one.also have one available in your shop.:893USA-Smilie-thumb

wheel chocks?? Thanks for letting me know as I did not know this was something needed, are they only needed on show day?? and what was the event that led to this being needed??

oh, and paul, if I get a mis-matched pair in the discount bin can they still be used??

and I figured I could only get the single use type of fire extinguisher at walmart that I already own, I wanted to find out where i could get a better one??

and after looking at Daves link I think a Halon might be the best choice because it can do less damage??

from the web site:
"A car fire extinguisher comes as multi-purpose and are classed as type A, B or C. Class A extinguishes fire that involves agents such as wood, paper and cardboard. Class B made to handle flammable combustibles such as grease, oil, and gasoline. The last type is Class C, are designed for electrical fires. For car fires, you will need an extinguisher that can handle a B Class and C Class fire.

When shopping around for a car extinguisher, keep in mind that there are two distinct types of extinguishers made specifically for the automobile.

Dry Chemical: These are units that can be found and purchased inexpensively from any hardware store. Although dry chemical extinguishers are an excellent choice for most household fires but if used in your vehicle, it could be the end of your car completely. Even if you can extinguish the fire using a dry chemical unit in your car, those same chemicals can eat through the plastic protective covering of the dashboard and completely destroy the electrical system of the car.

There has been some improvement in the manufacturing of the dry chemical car fire extinguisher specifically for those used exclusively in cars, however, even if the electrical components are not harmed in the fire, it would be a very difficult task to remove the powder chemicals after they are sprayed in the event of a fire.

Halon: Halon car extinguishers contain a gas that interrupts the chemical reaction that takes place when fuels burn. This type of car fire extinguisher is often used to protect valuable electrical equipment since they leave no residue. Generally speaking, a halon car extinguisher has a limited range, usually 4 to 6 feet but will not leave a residue or corrode the electrical components or other expensive mechanisms. While using a halon based extinguisher, your vision will not be impaired and it will not freeze the surfaces of your dashboard or paneling."

Dana.

Dana, the wheel chocks are needed on show day. I'm not aware of any PCS rolling car issues but is has happened and is a good idea.

First off, for any fire extinguisher to be truly effective you need to be on top the fire. For an untrained person this will be uncomfortably close. While Halon does provide for less clean up the agent itself does not provide any protection against re-ignition. It basically disrupts the fire process but in an open enviroment oxygen will still be present along with heat and fuel. In a closed enviroment it will displace oxygen and smother the fire along with you also. I used to carry 1 Halon and 2 dry powder units (a 5# behind the drivers seat and 2.5# in the patient compartment) in my ambulance.

wheel chocks?? Thanks for letting me know as I did not know this was something needed, are they only needed on show day?? and what was the event that led to this being needed??

This is only needed on show day, and whenever you are changing a tire on the car, or parking the car on a hill without the service brake being engaged..

oh, and paul, if I get a mis-matched pair in the discount bin can they still be used??

Only if you use the mismatched wheel chocks on mismatched tires.

and I figured I could only get the single use type of fire extinguisher at walmart that I already own, I wanted to find out where i could get a better one??

and after looking at Daves link I think a Halon might be the best choice because it can do less damage??

from the web site:
"A car fire extinguisher comes as multi-purpose and are classed as type A, B or C. Class A extinguishes fire that involves agents such as wood, paper and cardboard. Class B made to handle flammable combustibles such as grease, oil, and gasoline. The last type is Class C, are designed for electrical fires. For car fires, you will need an extinguisher that can handle a B Class and C Class fire.

When shopping around for a car extinguisher, keep in mind that there are two distinct types of extinguishers made specifically for the automobile.

Dry Chemical: These are units that can be found and purchased inexpensively from any hardware store. Although dry chemical extinguishers are an excellent choice for most household fires but if used in your vehicle, it could be the end of your car completely. Even if you can extinguish the fire using a dry chemical unit in your car, those same chemicals can eat through the plastic protective covering of the dashboard and completely destroy the electrical system of the car.

There has been some improvement in the manufacturing of the dry chemical car fire extinguisher specifically for those used exclusively in cars, however, even if the electrical components are not harmed in the fire, it would be a very difficult task to remove the powder chemicals after they are sprayed in the event of a fire.

Halon: Halon car extinguishers contain a gas that interrupts the chemical reaction that takes place when fuels burn. This type of car fire extinguisher is often used to protect valuable electrical equipment since they leave no residue. Generally speaking, a halon car extinguisher has a limited range, usually 4 to 6 feet but will not leave a residue or corrode the electrical components or other expensive mechanisms. While using a halon based extinguisher, your vision will not be impaired and it will not freeze the surfaces of your dashboard or paneling."

Dana.

What Scott already told you...

PS.. Please understand that my first two comments are not to be taken seriously... :rofl1:

All this talk about Chocks reminds me of one of my earliest memories.
Always count on Chocks.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-vUemAMEo0[/ame]

Back