Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:33 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,456 Times in 476 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hubcap restoration

Does anyone know of a place that does restoration of hubcaps, i.e. repainting the lines in them, polishing and taking out minor dents? Got knocked 4 points in Hudson for mine, as the black painted trim lines were worn off in places. I have a chance to purchase 4 correct slotted caps for my car (used on the cars with front disc brakes) but they have the same problem as the ones currently on my car, and all the other ones I see--the black trim lines that go around the inside are worn off. There is NO way to try to repaint these myself and make them look presentable, and trying to make some sort of stencil would be near impossible. Here is a picture of the hubcaps I am talking about. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,656 Times in 3,812 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Paint the black area and then using compound carefully rub the paint of the high spots till they look good. Should only take about few hours to do each cap.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:10 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,355 Times in 6,061 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

got to be a shop or two that do that but bet they get a hundred each to do them. keep looking for some sharp nos ones. I'll look on that 68 I got the lid off from. I'm working on getting the dash out of it.
mean time if you have a spare. here is my trick. clean up the cap using one of those cheap headlight restoration kits. the buffer out of it is just the right size forget the grit use a little course compound. remove the center emblem before you do this as it will get messed up. the use some semi flat black. spray paint were the black is. let it set up to the touch. then fold a paper towel and soak it with thinner. just get it damp were it won't push out any liquid if you press. fold it into a square that will fit your fingers and wipe off the paint were you don't want it. the square makes it stiff enough so it won't fall in the indent and just gets the high spots. don't try to go down into the crack you don't have to be super clean just get the heavy stiff off. rotate the towel to a clean side as you go and add thinner as needed. then let it set up. buff it again to remove any paint left. this will also round off the edges . use a stiff brush paint brush to clean out the compound and then clean your badge with it. put it back together and your set to go on to the next one. practice on a old one first you'll be surprised on easy it will work once you get the hang of wiping off the excess paint. just don't try to get to many at once or it will set up on you before it gets cleaned out. same trick works on name plates and any other painted on peal off trim pieces. here are the name tags off the 63. were smaller and I brushed in the paint the technique is the same.
Attached Images

Shawn Blyler (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Website Member

Thanked 7,105 Times in 2,339 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

I do believe you found that shop. Ship them to Ed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Vyse For This Useful Post:
Darlene Daniels (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 08:09 PM
PCS Life Member

Thanked 2,328 Times in 957 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Shaun, looked on ebay and there are lots of hubcaps so maybe you can find a nice set. I typed in 1968 cadillac hubcap for a search. Hope this helps
Old 08-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned

Groans: 9
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts

i see a green coach! please post a pic of the whole car :-) thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 09:45 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,456 Times in 476 Posts
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vyse View Post
I do believe you found that shop. Ship them to Ed.
You know, I was thinking that same thing!

Thanks for the info Ed, I may try it on a beat up one I have here. I guess it's worth a shot.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:14 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,355 Times in 6,061 Posts
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene Daniels View Post
i see a green coach! please post a pic of the whole car :-) thanks
been posting them all along for the last year.

but realy what you out trying to do it your self. a spray bomb and a pint of thiner and a little time. try it you ill be suprised how easy it is.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:17 PM
PCS Member

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Hubcap restoration

I restored the wheel covers on our 1969 Cadillac and this is what I did. Lucky to have covers to start with that had no dents. First, removed the crest from the center of the wheel cover and threw them away. I then degreased both sides and scrubed the backs with CLR (calcium, Lime, and Rust remover). Next took mineral spirits and cleaned all the tar off of them in a circular motion, and wiped out the best I could, the silhoette of the old crests. The repairs that I did do, were to bend back into the correct position every tang/finger on the back of the wheel covers with a linemans plier's being careful not to snap them off while bending them. The biggest Job, polishing. I wrapped a clean towel around a new sponge with a slice of box board on each side of the sponge (cereal box. etc.) to keep a flat surface, this way I would be less likely to polish lower than the high points of the wheel cover. Then, found the best jewelers polish I could get that had some grit to it and applied a line across the towel and polished each cover in a circular motion to retain the circular pattern on the stainless steel covers, from the factory, you can see in the hubcap. Then repurchased the crests from a vendor and replaced with push nuts from the hardware store. I left the black alone to retain an appearance similar to the wear the rest of the coach has. I did however talk to a pinstriper that could repaint them by hand for $75.00 per hour if I would like. Start to finish I have 7 hours into each wheel cover. I have had comments on the wheel covers specifically asking where had I found such nice wheel covers.
Attached Images