Stubborn Hood Latch

I feel like a Moron asking for some Help or tips with this but here I am...

I have a '72 Olds C/B Hearse with a Very Stubborn Hood Latch......and with the Front end the way it is on those cars its hard to get in anywhere with any sort of WD-40 or other Lubercants.

The Hood is latched Tight and and firm and has very little give....I've tried encouraging it a little with a Few Good Bumps from my hand where the Latch would be........Nothing..........I've tried to carefully and slowly pry on it a little bit being extremely careful not to Damage the Fenders, Hood or the Fiberglass front.

Normally this wouldn't be that big of a deal to me, until the time comes for the Restoration to begin. But I have a group of people that are interested in Renting it for a "Over the Hill" Birthday Party and the Carb. needs a Kit put in it before it goes on any sort of Road Trip:17875:......as it seems once the car gets warmed up it has a "Stalling Issue" with the Carb.

Any Ideas or Tips would be Greatly Appreciated

a stubborn hood

If your hood is not opening with the cable latch you may need a helper. While you or the helper pulls the handle to the open position bump the hood lightly with your hand. It may pop open to the safety catch. When this does not work plan B must go into effect. If there is not a sheild blocking your access lie on your back and slide under the front of the car. With a good light you should be able to see the cable going to the latch assembly. Now carefully (you don't want to get a sore finger) open the latch and the hood should pop open to the safety catch. Make grease, oil and mechanical adjustments to the latch assembly before closing the hood again. Hope this gives you some ideas. I am sure others will sign on here with more help. One of us is bound to come up with an idea that will work on your car.
Good luck,
Mike
:toocool:

Thanks Mike, I feel like an idiot asking for some Advice for a Hood latch. But I'm outta ideas so I figured I'd come here and see what would be suggested. I'll have to wait till later tonight when my Neighbor gets home to be my Assistant (lol)

be careful prying on the glass nose. if it would do the two man trick from above or you can try the stick from underneath. you can't get to the latch on the 72 with out taking out one of the grills that would be the last resort. but with your partner pulling the latch slid underneath and using a broom handle push up right next to the fan it's had to tell were your at but dead center should be the webbing for under the hood. the only other way would be to remove the left grill you would have to do that from underneath also about 5 bolts on that one. there kind of heavy and it would push in all that will do is let you get in enough to trip the latch and push up on the hood if you cable is broken or stretched. I can send you a picture of the back side if you need one. I'm guessing there is some rubber fillers no it's a tin stone shield you would have to remove from under the bumper to get up and take the grill out. then lube lube lube clean and lube dry hinges are the reason it won't pop up unless the spring is missing. you can't take the latch out with the hood down. the heads of the bolts are on the top and the plastic filler won't let you up there.

Well if anyone would know these cars it would be you John, thanks for the Pointers. (And trust me I was VERY Careful) the car is kind've parked in a Valley Right up next to a Hill so its not easy to access underneith the car. and with the recent Rain. the car is like a Stuck Pig in Slop.

Hopefully my neighbor will be home within the next hour while I still have a little daylight left.

As I'd like to take it to NAPA ASAP and get a Kit coming for it.

Back