Controlled Differential Fluid?

Jeremy D. Ledford

PCS Volunteer Chapter President
Was wondering what type of fluid is supposed to be used on a Cadillac commercial chassis with a controlled differential? Searched but didn't come up with anything here. My 1973 Cadillac shop manual has a GM part number, 1050189 but have searched online and came up with nothing.

Here is the general GM fluid description in the shop manual,

Differential (except Eldorado) - SAE 80 or SAE 90 GL-5 gear lubricant conforming to MIL-L-2105-B specifications. For vehicles normally operated in Canada, use SAE 80 GL-5 gear lubricant.

Controlled Differential- Special rear axle lubricant, Part Number 1050189, or it's equivalent.

Last edited:
it's whale oil. GM had small cans of it you dumped in and mixed it with the 90 wight so the clutches in the limited slip would not spin dry and stick. so you can used the new stuff. the cans of whale oil will get you hung if the save the whales people find you got it

Used to use it back in my Chev Service Dept days...Early 70's. Service Manager drilled me how to find the tag on the Rear-end so I didn't mix the wrong stuff.

This is what the original GM positraction fluid can looks like. I have a few cans left, and I guard them like they are gold. At one time, they were selling for as much as $100 a quart. Today, you can purchase an additive to add to the gear lube that simulates the effect of the old lubrication. I suggest that you go to your local GM dealer and get the GM lube and additive. It will work best for you, and it will keep your GM car all GM.. :applause:

Attachments

• MVC-016L.jpg
    MVC-016L.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 182
what the can looks like

Paul,
We are looking for the can. Did you forget something in that post? That is
what happens when you get in a hurry, old, forgetful, or other. Pick one.
Yes, we forgive you.
Mike

:rolleyes:

Paul,
We are looking for the can. Did you forget something in that post? That is
what happens when you get in a hurry, old, forgetful, or other. Pick one.
Yes, we forgive you.
Mike

:rolleyes:

Have you no imagination??????? How hard is it to look into your minds eye, and envision a can??? ...... OK.. just for you, I have added it.. Now, do you remember when oil came in glass jars???

Attachments

• MVC-016L.JPG
    MVC-016L.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 185
Have you no imagination??????? How hard is it to look into your minds eye, and envision a can??? ...... OK.. just for you, I have added it.. Now, do you remember when oil came in glass jars???

I for one DO NOT remember oil in glass jars, but then again I never rode a dinosaur to school. :yankchain:

Back