What is the difference between the Cadillac 472 and 500?

First and foremost, I am not a motor guy.

I have worked on several motors, but I am still learning. So, my question is... what is the actual difference between the Cadillac 472 and 500?

In my 1973 Superior Cadillac, I had a 472 ci motor. I have been told that it actually put out 500 hp. Is there another motor that Cadillac put into their cars that was a true 500 ci motor? I just read a Craigslist add that mentioned a 1975 Cadillac with a 500 ci motor.

First and foremost, I am not a motor guy.

I have worked on several motors, but I am still learning.

same here. that being said the 472 went to 500 some time around the unleaded gas time frame. mainly dished pistons and domed heads gave it the more cubic inches. the people that know these engines can tell you what combination of crank, rods and piston with what head will give you what. typical GM configuration. as for the number they assigned the engine that is mostly a marketing ploy. take the 396 big block. most of them would CC out to 401. but 396 plays off the tongue so much better then 401. so was the 472 a 472 and the 500 a 500. who knows but if you detune your engine giving it more cubic inches makes it sound more powerful. I due know if your knowledgeable with this or can read (there are books out) you can swap factory parts and get a lot of low end bang for your bucks on them. they tell me the 69 was the last high horse factory engines in this line up. none from the factory would put out 500 HP that I know of. but then caddy was not about high horsepower but high low end torque. the racers will keep the factory cam because it gives you that launch from the get go to move that heavy car. they have a lot of punch at a low rpm. both my Oldsmobile's will run circles around the caddy. but neither of them have that smooth acceleration or that ride. the 73 CC was the last lead burner. the regular 73 caddy was unleaded fuel only. unless of course I'm mistaken. I don't know much about engines either. if they start when I turn the key then I'm happy. :D

I do know that my 73 Superior was already an unleaded car. I found it odd years ago when I first owned it that it was set up for unleaded and my 73 Ford Country Squire was still a leaded car. Cadillac must have been one of the first to change over to unleaded.

On another subject that you brought up about the different shaped pistons giving different horsepower, I had a lesson just recently on that. My 73 Ford 400ci motor was the first "fuel efficient" 400. From what I understand, the 72 Ford 400s had cuped (or ashtray as the mechanic called them) pistons and the 73 were flat. He was trying to convince me to put 72 pistons into my 73 to get a little more power.

I've still got so much to learn and hopefully a long time to learn it all!

Charles
The 368, 425, 472 and 500 are variations on the same motor. Cadillac introduced the 472 in the CC for 1968. The motor continued in various displacements until 1984. 1970 was the last year for high compression, I recall a horsepower figure of 370. As you mentioned Cadillac was progressive in preparing for low lead and unleaded fuels. The commercial chassis got the 500 in 1975 and 1976. As Ed mentioned there are subtle differences in the years, displacements and original applications, ie FWD Eldorado.

Thanks for the information.

I learn a little at a time and sooner or later, I will remember all of this information. Just as soon as I rember it, I will probably be old enough to start forgetting it all again. :eek:

Take a look at www.500cid.com for information on these engines. They are going to re-build the power plant in my Criterion, and give it a real HP boost.

in 1975 it was MANDATORY for passenger cars to use unleaded gasline; however most automakers started using the compatible valves etc in 1971

I fugured that there would be plenty of guys here that could give me some answers. Thanks to all! Robert, I'll have to check out that website when I get a few minutes... thanks for the link.

Back