1966 Toronto Hallowell Ambulance

The streetcar is stopped due to the fire hose.

In Baltimore, they didn't stop running streetcars just because of hose lines. They actually had "hose jumpers". The yellow truck on the right was a Baltimore streetcar emergency truck, and would respond to fire scenes to put down the jumpers and allow service to continue.

Attachments

• Hose Jumpers Baltimore 1.jpg
    Hose Jumpers Baltimore 1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 286
Tim

That intersection is Main and Danforth in Toronto's east end.

I was there on Tuesday and it looks a lot different these days.
Buses only in that area now.

Darren

When I started in the late 60's all employees had to go to Canadian forces base Borden for the new 4 week ambulance attendants course,at this course the government unveiled the new ford econoline ambulance which would become standard across the province, the elder medics said the rig was a piece of doo doo,and to prove it one went to the closest phone and called Toronto dispatch to see if anyone was in the area and this rig pictured was en route back to Toronto,from a northern Ontario transfer,and as the guys worked for Hallowell's they swung by. and I remember George telling the government folks now this is an ambulance...thanks for the memory, that is twice I have seen that car it sure was a sharp vehicle especially parked next to the as George called it "the hippie beach buggy".

Been there done that

Froze my backside off in Camp Borden, Remember Hallowell rigs Pure Class,came from the east end of Toronto,worked out of Niagara in 1970, St. Catharines had 5 ministry vans, 1 C/B Oldsmobile. Welland had 2 ministry vans and the white Cadillac you see posted buried up windows during the blizzard.

FYI that white Cadillac buried up to the windows in snow was Alexanders from Welland but now resides at Lens ambulance museum in Chatham Ont.

Back