1973 Pontiac Grandville Hearse

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Pontiac-Grandville-/331961366351?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

"I have an immaculate, all original Pontiac Grandville hearse for sale. It was built by Superior Coaches in 1973 and is 1 of only 240 Pontiac hearse/ambulance combinations made that year. I can almost guarantee that this one is the nicest one left. It has just under 29,000 original miles with a 455 big block powering it. The hearse will go 120 mph easily. It has been garaged its whole life and well maintained. The carburetor was rebuilt a few months ago and it has had an ignition tune up. The exterior is in great shape and completely rust free, but has a few paint scratches and a small dent on the back door that is barely noticeable. The interior is spotless. I have the records that go back to when it was purchased. It's not something I need to sell, but I could use the money for college, and I already have three other cars. It's a blast to drive around because of all the weird looks you get, and it's fun to take to car shows. It also makes a great camper because a twin mattress fits perfectly in the back. It has A/C but I have never tried to use it. My friends and I took it to prom this year and everybody loved it. The only issue is that the fuel gauge doesn't work and it needs a new exhaust system. The manifolds are cracked and one of the pipes has come disconnected, so it is very loud and unsafe to drive for more than 15 minutes due to the exhaust gas leaking into the cab. If you want to buy it, you can take it for a test drive, but bring a trailer. As ironic as it would be, I'd rather not have someone die while driving it. If you have any questions, send me a message. Thanks for looking."

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 476
I wouldn't encourage anyone to give $8000 for a '73 Superior Pontiac end-loader landau, even if it had no miles on it. '73 Pontiacs had to be the ugliest Pontiacs produced in the 1970s and then you combine that with the ugly Catalina quarter panels that Superior used and you have one unattractive coach. End-loading landau hearses from the '70s are a tough sell and not a good investment, unless you are looking to keep it for the rest of your life.

Channing,
I will be in McPherson on Saturday morning, if you want me to stop by and check it out for you.

I would think long and hard on that one before making an offer.

Channing,
I will be in McPherson on Saturday morning, if you want me to stop by and check it out for you.

I would think long and hard on that one before making an offer.

Wow, thank you for the offer and the advise. I hope I have the opportunity to return the favor.

I have absolutely no more room for anything...For now, I have to watch them come and go until I build a pole barn. I have 4 coaches and 3 other collector cars that I am storing as it is...At this point, I cannot accumulate more. I am also at the point where the next chunk of change will be dedicated to the ones I have....of course, all those good intentions could go to pot if the right one came along.

The seller and I emailed back and forth a few times. He seems like a good guy. I am under the impression that he is in school and could use the money, but he is also content with keeping it. I encouraged him to keep it. He is a young man in school...he could have tons of fun with a hearse! It needs a little mechanical work, but it is work that a mechanically inclined individual can manage with time and patience.

Thank you again for your kind offer...if you are near by, check it out. You may change your mind, and add it to your collection.;)

Last edited:
Channing,
I am right there with you! My building and garage are both full! I would absolutely love to, one day, own a Superior Pontiac, but it would have to be a '68 or older.

now I'm the old curmudgeon...

I am turning into the old man I didn't expect... I see nameplates in the window of the hearse that say "You're Next" and it ticks me off, maybe it's too many years of sitting in the room with grieving folks, but I am not sure nameplates like that help our hobby one bit...
Now, you kids get off my lawn and quit throwing that ball in my yard or I'll call the cops...

but name plates unlike tattoos can be removed and when you buy it you get to change the license plate. our notch of the hobby is keep up by keeping clean cars .

I am turning into the old man I didn't expect... I see nameplates in the window of the hearse that say "You're Next" and it ticks me off, maybe it's too many years of sitting in the room with grieving folks, but I am not sure nameplates like that help our hobby one bit...
Now, you kids get off my lawn and quit throwing that ball in my yard or I'll call the cops...

You have learned to act with reverence and have respect for the deceased and those who grieve for them. Not a grouchy old-man thing....a compassionate, good thing!
When my neighbor's mother passed, I kept the hearse in the garage for a good amount of time after....I am not sure if it would have, but I did not want to remind her or offend her.
Although the respect that you have learned and show is most often associated with wisdom and age, I know that a mother / father can instill it in the minds of their young ones.
I also am of the mind that the vast majority of those who display Halloween-like decorations and icons on their hearses mean no harm or disrespect --they are often young, and have not experienced the loss of a loved one--and are just trying to have a good time.

I promise to stay off of your lawn.

Last edited:
Ok Superior was the high-production producer of pro-cars, and the Pontiac offerings were their "medium" (lowest) priced products aimed to compete with C+B.

How many Superior Pontiac hearse non-end-loaders (and non combination cars) were actually ordered?

Probably not many.

This appears to be a very well-preserved survivor.

I am not at all a hearse guy, but I just had to add my two cents.

True on all accounts.and if it is your dream car it's not all that bad. That of course is what the seller is trying for. Someone that wants the car and is willing to pay over the market for one. If one is not in a hurry and doesn't need to sell they can do that. For every one that doesn't like the looks of the car there is one that does. But I'm like you and really have no interest in a Hearse. I have bought cars at over the fair market value sold them under to. It's all a matter of need at the moment.

I got the impression, and I may be wrong, that the seller started high with a price and is waiting to see what kind of offers he gets.
I am pretty sure he is a kid right out of high school just starting college...again, that is the impression. If that is the case, then I assume he is being advised by dad or someone else on this sale.
The car is in good shape for its age. It looks like the interior and body were well cared for. I am not overly impressed with the lines of the car, but, as it was said before,: 'if this is your dream car', then you have a good start on a very nice example of a '73 Pontiac Superior hearse.

I like it...If I had room, and it were being sold locally for the right price, then I would "seriously consider the possibility [alternate cs] of maybe buying this car".

I still think he should keep it, fix it up and enjoy it. It seems like the cars you have when you are young are the ones that you regret getting rid of, and spend tons of money trying to reacquire.

Also, a 3-Way renders the rear compartment useless for anything other than transporting a casket. I used to think that a 3-Way was the ultimate coach....... now I would prefer a limousine-style combo.

Back