Great story from the M-M meet

The best thing about a meet like the Miller-Meteor Reunion meet is meeting the people who worked in the industry and hearing their stories. I'd like to share one that I particularly enjoyed. This was told to us, by the way, while we were on the third floor of the former A.J. Miller building in Bellefontaine, OH.

PCS member Fred McPeck, an attendee at a few International Meets including Flint, worked for Miller and M-M in many progressive capacities over the years. He says he started working in the Miller plant, and was told to clean up at the end of the day. When his supervisor returned, Fred was scrubbing the concrete floor. The supervisor told him that was not necessary. ;) Anyway, that's not the good story.

Fred was a salesman for the company, and attended a funeral directors' convention with them. This was the first time Miller had displayed coaches with hidden rear door hinges (as opposed to exposed hinges). He was in the company display booth and noticed an older man pulling the door, trying to open it. He went over and opened the door for the man, and showed him the hidden hinges. The man was very pleased. Fred, the young salesman, introduced himself to the man, "Hi, I'm Fred McPeck." To which the man replied, "Hi, I'm Emil Hess." :eek: :D

That would, of course, be the elder Mr. Hess of the Hess & Eisenhardt company. :rolleyes: That's funny!

Great stories

Steve has shared one of a good many stories that were told last week (and at the previous two reunions.) While Miller-Meteor touted the phrase "Ask the man who owns one" (as seen on Jeremy Ledford's signature), these reunions truly allow attendees to "Ask the man (men & women) who BUILT them!"

While we were sitting in the hotel parking lot a gentleman approached and asked if we with the Miller-Meteor people. We told him we were the folks that are fans and owners of these coaches. He introduced himself as the man who designed the Criterion ambulance. He than noticed Tom Caserta and Walt McCall and it was like old home week. This happened right next to the Criterion in the lot.

I have a railroad tape of movies made in the mid '50's in Bellefontaine, showing New york Central steam locos pounding up the e.b. grade past the Miller plant where new coaches are parked outside the facility. I wonder how many cinders were delivered in the new vehicles.

Back