Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Classifieds Forum Open to the Public > Wanted

Wanted All responses to these posts, such as price, etc. should be done by Private Message or eMail. Posts may be removed after 30 days or at our discretion. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:55 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,263 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Wiring Diagram Needed!

As you may know, I have a beautiful, John Dorgan Restored Federal Double-Tone on top of my 68 Superior and I have never heard it! Why? Because it has never been wired in. I have been told by Len Langlois and Paul Sternberg, that there is a very specific way it must be wired. So, I am seeking a diagram and any specific information necessary, in order to do it right. Can anyone help me with this, I would really appreciate any help.
Past Northeast Chapter President
Past BoD Member
Co-Chair PCS 1999 Lancaster Meet

And I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of it!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:27 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,161 Times in 3,620 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

You need a continuous duty solenoid, such as the Cole Hersee #24213 or a 24059, and then run a #4 gauge wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the solenoid and then another 4 gauge cable from the other side of the solenoid, to the siren. The next thing is you need to find the siren / horn switch, and on that switch, there should be a wire that isn't connected to anything. You then add additional wire to that wire, and connect it to one of the small terminals on the solenoid. The other small terminal of the solenoid, has a wire going from it to the ground. This can change, depending on how your car was wired from Superior. Sometimes, the wire from the horn/siren switch is the ground, which would mean that you would put 12 volts to one of the small terminals, and the other would be a ground wire coming from the horn. I have seen them done both ways. No matter what, you need to have someone that understands automotive electrical wiring, and understands how to wire this safely. The last thing that you want to happen is for smoke in your ambulance. Possibly you could find someone in the town maintenance garage that will have the knowledge to do this. There is a diagram on the B & M Siren page, and it would be a good starting point for whomever you find to install this siren.
Bill Marcy (09-20-2017), Kurt Arends (09-20-2017), Peter Grave (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 01:02 PM

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...doug/IMG-5.jpg

This is a diagram I made when I installed a light bar on my fire engine. The concept is the same as Paul's explanation. The only difference is that I added a resettable circuit breaker between the battery feed and the solenoid.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Benson For This Useful Post:
Bill Marcy (09-20-2017), Kurt Arends (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 10:41 PM
PCS Elected Director

Thanked 13,662 Times in 5,764 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just with a externally grounded solenoid. If it is internally grounded there. Will only be one trip post. One other source for a continuous duty solenoid is a gulf cart they are 50 amp. This one would work of you were using a push button to trip the solenoid. With the horn siren switch you would split the hot wire the horn relay . Then using a double throw switch wire it so that one direction the splice would be connected the other way the. Solenoid would be hot. Then the ground would be spliced into the wire going up to the horn button. The horn works by switching the ground.

So one way the horn relay would be grounded when you taped the horn button . The other direction the siren solenoid would be grounded .

You could use the hot wire from the horn relay to power the solenoid then the siren would work switch on or not. But most were. Wired off the hot wire on the switch panel. That way a accidental blast would not occur .