Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:10 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,042 Times in 3,567 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Just for the confirmation of fitment, put the original doors back onto the car, and see if you can fit them. Then compare the fit of one side with old doors, with the other side with the new doors. Whatever is different, should become evident quickly by looking from side to side.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:15 PM
PCS Elected Director

Thanked 13,480 Times in 5,695 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

shim the read door hinges. you can cut them out of a flat piece of steel the proper thickness. that is guessing that they are not front opening doors.

the other fix is to remove the door and grind down the offending edges and then weld the lip back up. or

rat tail file and make the slots in the hinges longer the direction you need to go. a 1/8 in on both doors is a lot

or a combination of both. this is why I have never tried to change a door but would rather fix what I have. they are each one custom fit not mass produced.

but unless they are over laping and they both open and close with other one closed you may be as good as it gets.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:13 AM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chris - I measured all three of my '76s and had a friend measure a '73 - 52 1/2" on the front door, 45 1/2" on the back door (even my '67 is 45 1/2" on the back door) - but a couple of the doors are as much as 1/4" larger. One thing I did not check between the '76 and '73 - I did not look to see if there was a difference in the construction of where the hinge mounted - but if you want I can check my cars for that this weekend.
1976 S & S Cadillac Professional High Body ambulance (Roxbury, NJ Chemical Engine Co. #2)
1947 A. J. Miller Cadillac Duplex combination
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob M. Fournier For This Useful Post:
Paul Steinberg  (09-08-2017)