1940 lasalle s&s hearse

Hello to all, i am unsure if this is the appropriate forum. Please forgive me if it is not. I just posted the pictures of my 1940 lasalle s&s hearse in the p.c.s. "album" section and i did not know how to inform any other interested p.c.s. Members of them.
Please advise me of the correct policy if i have made a mistake here. Thank you! Chuck commerford

Hi Chuck, thanks for posting the photos! Beautiful coach you have. And if you're just posting photos to show off your ride and rub it in everyone else's faces that you have it and they don't, then you posted in the right place :D

Now if you're looking to sell, we do have a different forum for that...

And here's a direct link to your photo album so everyone can enjoy.

Hello fellow enthusiasts, the hearse is not for sale, i just posted the pictures to share (not to show off) as i log in to this site everyday and i enjoy the fellowship and sharing of information that is always here. It seems to me that this is a unique membership that is open to all that share a common interest in pro cars. I always follow the banter that goes on and i review every forum posting everday as i am eager for information. I have owned this hearse for over a year and i have yet to see another 40 lasalle s&s anywhere on the intenet. I realize the prodauction amountwas low but i am wondering where the others went. I sent for a copy of the cadillac shipping records and it was sent to s&s in may of 1940.
I have found other 1940 lasalle's in australia, fellow member andrew pullins in california, and i believe there is another in illinois close by me but i have not been able to get a response from her to share pictures and information. I have yet to discover another s&s example however.
I am truly happy to be part of this group,thank you for your kind comments!
Chuck commerford

Charles, what an absolutely wonderful coach. She is so gorgeous. Thank you for sharing these pictures. I (and im sure others) would love to see more.

Has it been previously restored? Or an original example? Do you plan to preserve it as it is now?

Thanks again Charles!

Paul

Lasalle hearse

The hearse is in original condition. The mileage is 42k
the paint is about a 7.5 on a 1-10 scale with very little minor rust spots. Nothing is missing, even the rear curtains are here.
I does need the rear window glass replaced and i have made a cardboard template for it and will look for a source to supply one.
I really have not had much time to spend on it yet as i am finishing some other projects first. Possibly this winter i will finally have the time to tackle this.
I intend to leave it as found with the exception of resolving any mechanical reliability issues and tire replacement. The body and interior will remain as they are now with the exception of buffing the paint and cleaning the interior.
It will not be a "show car" but it will be a "shown car" as i will drive it everywhere i can.
For safety reasons,i would like to change it to a dual master cylinder brake system, any suggestions?

Wow!! Very nice coach especially considering it is original!!! Thankyou for sharing!!!!
Something i find interesting is the way the S&S "date marks" on the hood also carry down the side of the grille, i have not noticed that before on other coaches??!!

Dana Bennett.

The hearse is in original condition. The mileage is 42k
the paint is about a 7.5 on a 1-10 scale with very little minor rust spots. Nothing is missing, even the rear curtains are here.
I does need the rear window glass replaced and i have made a cardboard template for it and will look for a source to supply one.
I really have not had much time to spend on it yet as i am finishing some other projects first. Possibly this winter i will finally have the time to tackle this.
I intend to leave it as found with the exception of resolving any mechanical reliability issues and tire replacement. The body and interior will remain as they are now with the exception of buffing the paint and cleaning the interior.
It will not be a "show car" but it will be a "shown car" as i will drive it everywhere i can.
For safety reasons,i would like to change it to a dual master cylinder brake system, any suggestions?

It may not be perfect but it is only original once, so not restoring it is a great idea, it looks great as it is.
As for the dual master cylinder, some people will tell you to change it, but I would not worry as long as its in proper working order. My 49 S&S still has the single and I drive it ALOT, (2,000-5,000 miles a year), even had to lock up the wheels a couple times with no issues ever. I replaced the wheel cylinders, but as far as I know the master has not been rebuilt. I have owned the car since 2003.

40 s+s

Hello Charles, your car reminds me of the one that came from a country funeral home close to me in Pennsylvania. Somewhere I have pics I probably took of it sitting in the garage behind the home circa 1980 or so.
John Ehmer

Hi Charles, the car is georgousssss. I am very honored that you are willing to share your car with us. I enjoy older automobiles and looking at your album. Thanks for sharing.

Photos of the pennsylvania hearse

Hello,
i can't tell you how excited i am to hear your news. My hearse came from a funeral home in pennsylvania and i would bet that you have pictures of my hearse. I was told that the second owner (deceased) purchased it in pennsylvania and drove it home to ohio. Please help me with this. I would be extremely grateful if you could locate those pictures. My direct email address is: cwcgec@comcast.net if you would please communicate with me.
Thank you,
chuck

John,
i just had to tell you again how excited i am to hear from you about the possibility of photos existing of my hearse. This is why i consider this to be the greatest group of enthusiast i have ever had the privlege of sharing information with. I look forward to hearing from you.
Chuck

Hi Charles. I would love to get together to see each others cars. Not only are we both in IL but Frankfort is very close to Palos Heights. Not quite walking distance but almost. I have a couple pictures of mine in an album on here as well. Check them out & let me know when you are available for a few moments of car drooling and chit chat.

40 s+s

Charles, please be patient with those pics of your car. All of my lit and pics were hastily packed a few years ago and I am unsure as to there exact location at this time.
I was also at the Funeral home auction when all equipment including your coach was sold.
If memory serves me..... questionable at this time..... I do remember drifting her out of the garage, washing her and take pics for our Calendar project in the mid 90's. If anybody has a copy of Tri-State calendars from 92,93,or 94 ....... your car may be in there.
John

Hi Charles, beautiful coach you have there! Keep enjoying it and posting pictures for the rest of us. And thank you for sharing it with us.

Hello John,
Yes i understand your pictures may not be readily available. do you happen to know the location and name of that funeral home or the auction company that held the sale? i could then do a google search to see if i can find any more information on it. if anyone has a calendar from those years could you look to see if the lasalle is pictured.

THANK YOU TO ALL FOR YOUR KIND WORDS AND HELP.
Chuck

Hi Charles. I would love to get together to see each others cars. Not only are we both in IL but Frankfort is very close to Palos Heights. Not quite walking distance but almost. I have a couple pictures of mine in an album on here as well. Check them out & let me know when you are available for a few moments of car drooling and chit chat.

hello any update pics, thanks steve

Back