How many Criterion's are left...

What’s the story on this car, the ambulance company “Murphy” that operated it, and where the company & ambulance were located?

For some reason I want to say this was the name of the company in Abilene Texas in the late 8o’s that operated a criterion like this.

76CadCriterion_small.jpg

That photo depicts a (then) brand-new 1976 Miller-Meteor Criterion custom-built for Murphy Ambulance Service in St. Cloud, Minnesota. Three blue stripes and a Star of Life insignia were later added to each side of the "landau" roof. This Criterion was unique because it did not have a walk-through partition, nor did it have a squad bench in the patient compartment. Jim Murphy preferred that the car have extra storage space, so it had a LH rear facing jump seat, along with full partition, and RH forward facing jump seat, which could be folded down to accommodate two cots.

After seeing service with Murphy for 3-4 years, this beauty very briefly saw service in Northfield, MN and then Sauk Centre, MN, where we lived at the time. In addition to being the funeral director in town, my dad worked for the ambulance service and took this car on many runs. I was occasionally permitted to ride along on routine transfers and event standbys.

That photo depicts a (then) brand-new 1976 Miller-Meteor Criterion custom-built for Murphy Ambulance Service in St. Cloud, Minnesota. Three blue stripes and a Star of Life insignia were later added to each side of the "landau" roof. This Criterion was unique because it did not have a walk-through partition, nor did it have a squad bench in the patient compartment. Jim Murphy preferred that the car have extra storage space, so it had a LH rear facing jump seat, along with full partition, and RH forward facing jump seat, which could be folded down to accommodate two cots.

After seeing service with Murphy for 3-4 years, this beauty very briefly saw service in Northfield, MN and then Sauk Centre, MN, where we lived at the time. In addition to being the funeral director in town, my dad worked for the ambulance service and took this car on many runs. I was occasionally permitted to ride along on routine transfers and event standbys.

Thank you for the history of this car, however do you know what ever became of it? I wish I still had those old images of the criterion I took in Abilene Texas back in 88-89 when it was in service there as a back up rig. I just have a image in my memory of the letting on the door being almost the same.

So for your records there was a Criterion in operation in Abilene Texas around that time, however its fate is unknown. I had a hobby of traveling all around North Texas (or anywhere I was) taking pictures of old ambulances and funeral coaches and as I mentioned before those stacks of images were all lost in a fire. Oh to have all those images today.

Thank you for the history of this car, however do you know what ever became of it? I wish I still had those old images of the criterion I took in Abilene Texas back in 88-89 when it was in service there as a back up rig. I just have a image in my memory of the letting on the door being almost the same.

Was that car in service with David Girdner's outfit? He had a very nice '76 Lifeliner, as well.

Was that car in service with David Girdner's outfit? He had a very nice '76 Lifeliner, as well.

I have no idea who the owner was or even the name of the ambulance service.

My memory is a bit sketchy as it was so many years ago and I was driving by when I saw it and stopped to look at it and get a few pictures. All I do remember was that it was the only commercial chassis car there as the other ambulances were either van or box types. Think there were only 3 ambulances there anyway, and the Ambulances were backed into a metal carport type of structure that was open in the front facing the street.

This many years later I really don't remember much else about it but there couldn't have been too many ambulance services in Abilene at that time. Like I said I wish i had the pictures as they would answer a lot of questions we both have on the car but I know there was a criterion there and in use.

Thank you for the history of this car, however do you know what ever became of it?

See Post #181 in this thread to see the photo I took of said Criterion in 1990.

Sometime after the ambulance service in Sauk Centre changed hands ca. 1984, the new owner took the Cadillac to a repair shop in another town, had a substantial amount of work done to it, but never paid the bill. He also didn't have title to the car, based on outstanding debt to the previous owner.

I wanted to buy the car in 1990, but was dismayed to find it in the condition it was, already having been abandoned out behind the repair shop for a few years. It was pretty rusty and was missing some pieces. The repair shop wanted payment for their lien; the former owner wanted payment for the title; and the (now rusty) ambulance that didn't run needed to be dragged out of the woods. In the end, it just wasn't worth it.

I visited the car once more in 1994 and there was almost nothing left of it. The previous "new" owner (who skipped out on the repair shop and his debt to the former service owner) had returned to strip the remaining equipment off the car. He even took the cabinets out of the back and left the rear door open for snow to accumulate in the patient compartment.

A very sad ending for a once beautiful ambulance.

See Post #181 in this thread to see the photo I took of said Criterion in 1990.

Sometime after the ambulance service in Sauk Centre changed hands ca. 1984, the new owner took the Cadillac to a repair shop in another town, had a substantial amount of work done to it, but never paid the bill. He also didn't have title to the car, based on outstanding debt to the previous owner.

I wanted to buy the car in 1990, but was dismayed to find it in the condition it was, already having been abandoned out behind the repair shop for a few years. It was pretty rusty and was missing some pieces. The repair shop wanted payment for their lien; the former owner wanted payment for the title; and the (now rusty) ambulance that didn't run needed to be dragged out of the woods. In the end, it just wasn't worth it.

I visited the car once more in 1994 and there was almost nothing left of it. The previous "new" owner (who skipped out on the repair shop and his debt to the former service owner) had returned to strip the remaining equipment off the car. He even took the cabinets out of the back and left the rear door open for snow to accumulate in the patient compartment.

A very sad ending for a once beautiful ambulance.

thanks for the information that I overlooked

is the car still sitting there, or what ever became of it? I also wonder how the old owner was able to access the car to steal parts off it. What a douche bag and yes a truly sad ending to a once great car.

now that first set why they are the only pictures of a 72 known to exist. what a find. must not be any front shots the man is off that many years. looks like proto type photos to me.

Current Estimate of Criterions Built & Still Running?

Curious if anyone is willing to update the list from page 1 to include best guess as to how many Criterions are still known to exist in running condition and where they are located. Any restorable Criterion I think should be included in the list. Also, I am interested in opinions of whether there were 50 total Criteria created or 50 per model year. Thanks.

Curious if anyone is willing to update the list from page 1 to include best guess as to how many Criterions are still known to exist in running condition and where they are located. Any restorable Criterion I think should be included in the list. Also, I am interested in opinions of whether there were 50 total Criteria created or 50 per model year. Thanks.

Maybe some of the guys here who know where a few Criterions are in salvage yards can post a Google Earth / Satellite image of the actual cars and where they are. This could help in finding the cars and saving them.

09-24-2010-This thread is prompting me to work on a special Criterion project. I hope to have it finished by the Mid-Winter meeting in Flint (or wherever it is held.)

Wondering if this project ever got finished?

A last minute find and got this from the Classy Cadillac thread. I see there are amber lenses on the beacons and appears to be that way on the tunnel lights.

Attachments

• Aubin2.jpg
    Aubin2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 636
The first car shown in the previous post is a 1976 Criterion. This car is already documented in Post 154 as the all-white example from Old Capitol, as displayed by Marty Hutt at the 1988 PCS Meet in Decatur, IL.

The second car, a 1975 Criterion, was AMB 5 in the Capital City (Des Moines, IA) fleet. This car bears body number 75009 and is believed to be one of a handful of Criterions purchased brand new by Bob Hutt, Marty's father. Most of Mr. Hutt's Criterions were purchased used, but there were indeed some new ones in the bunch.

I have not seen a photo of AMB 5 previously in this thread. It is included in the magnificent lineup of the Capital City Criterion fleet shot.

Larry Dirks sent these to me to share. List keeps growing.

I believe the first two pics are the old Mount Morris Fire Protection district unit, photographed at Foster Coach in Sterling IL. If so, it's the last Criterion ever built and has disappeared years ago.

SJA

Richard: The 5th picture down from the top of the pale blue and yellow Criterion "resting" in a CA Ag Field I believe is the one bought about a year ago by Bill Dundas from Camarillo (Ventura County CA). Although I asked when this survey first began.... I haven't received any information on it from Bill (he may not know it's history), but is friend of Golden State Chapter's Robert Shepard.... any he may know it's "roots"? MM

Bill's 1976 Criterion was custom ordered by San Jose Ambulance specificly to be a paramedic unit; or MICU as they were known then.

San Jose was one of the first places in the Bay Area I think to have paramedics . South San Francisco came next in 1974 and they used a low roof van for a few years as their ambulance . The next paramedic system did not exist until late 1976 in San Mateo County with Dolphin/Medevac Inc . being the primary responder . 911 then was only available in one city , Pacifica where I lived for many years . Then in the Fall of 1980 , San Francisco became the next locale to get paramedics through the Department of Public Health and the initiative was barely passed by the Board of Supervisors , despite objections . Contra Costa County was the last Bay Area county to approve a paramedic system in 1986 .

Back