Meteor Phonograph

We have one in our funeral home. It has a different "Grill" and a flip up slide in door (Not sure of one in the photo here). It works and came with about 2 dozen records. The folks love it
Rich

Meteor phonograph

I have a Meteor phonograph. They seem to have been available with several different grilles. I have seen at least 3 different ones. While the ad says they were built in 1917 I was told 1917 to 1921. If you look closely at the one in the sale ad you can see the slide in door is set into the top section of the record storage cabinet. I saw a console model on ebay last year. Looked like a short legged coffee table. The center of the top raised up to reveal the record player. The price was right but the distance and shipping made it unobtainable. The Meteor Car Co had their own company band for several years. There are 2 brands of Meteor records out there for sale. One is the 78 rpm type like would play on this phonograph. The other has the Meteor name and is of the 45 rpm size record. I think the 45s are not from the same Meteor Co. Always look for the one that says Piqua, Ohio on it and you can't go wrong.
Some of you may be interested to know that the Meteor Car Co also built beautiful wooden boats. I think the boats are of 1930 and 1931 vintage. One is still riding the waves at Indian Lake in Ohio. A few others survive but have had newer engines installed and extensive modificatiions to the passenger areas.
Mike

Back