Heater and a/c repairs underway in my Criterion

Robert Shepard

Website Administrator / Past President - Golden St
Super Site Supporter
Having owned my Criterion for a decade without a working heater and a/c system was not a problem in N. CA, as the weather was mild. Upon moving to AZ I've experienced days as hot as 118 degrees. Not wanting to go through another summer without the benefit of a/c, I hired a local car shop that is focused on vintage cars to fix the system. They only use R-12 and do not retrofit old systems to use the replacement gas. Their a/c expert has been with the shop for 30 years and really knows his trade. The old hoses were shot, as well as the front heater core,and new ones were installed. This is also true for the condenser, as it had a hole in it the size of a dime. Much to my surprise, their parts guru found a NOS commerical chassis spec unit in Los Angeles. The compressor had a bad seal that was replaced and is now working perfectly. The heater - a/c programmer was not working, so they have re-built it. the system took 9 12oz. cans of R-12. I hope to have the car back on the road in another week.

Attachments

• IMG_2556.JPG
    IMG_2556.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 147
Back