cot bar question

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Did the various cots that were used through the years all use the same cot bars, or were there specific cot bars for specific cots? The factory picture of my 1963 Pinner shows a long cot bar, but when you try to hook a cot to the long bar, the cot has to move too far forward, and then you can't use the jump seat. Since the factory photo doesn't show a cot, then I am beginning to think that they just installed any cot bar that they had, and let the customer buy the cot after delivery. thanks

The Ferno/FW Model #1 cot bar was used for all the Model #30 cots and things like it. The bar is adjustable on the mounting brackets so it was pretty flexible (not Flxible) for most applications. I just don't remember seeing different lengths of bar....

I recently found my 1960 Ferno catalog, I'll double check when I'm home tomorrow.

Did the various cots that were used through the years all use the same cot bars, or were there specific cot bars for specific cots? The factory picture of my 1963 Pinner shows a long cot bar, but when you try to hook a cot to the long bar, the cot has to move too far forward, and then you can't use the jump seat. Since the factory photo doesn't show a cot, then I am beginning to think that they just installed any cot bar that they had, and let the customer buy the cot after delivery. thanks

Remember Paul, I'm bringing you my old cot to the Flint meet. When I got a differenet cot from the funeral home it would not fit correctly into my current cot bar and had to drill a new hole to extend the space between the hook and push bar. I also adjusted it back away from the cabinet area.

cot bars

All cot bars are not created equal. When I got one for my 61MM there were several in the barrel. Some short, some longer. Some had mounting wedges with the proper beveled angle to match my MM installed mounts. Others had wedges that would have required some rework to make them fit my coach. There were steel bars and there were aluminum bars. Some were straight and some had a curve at the action end. Remember I was at CWCoach in Cincinnati, Ohio when I got my bar. This was just my experience.
Call Carl. I am sure there are still some bars in the attic at CW.
Mike

Although I have't look at it in a while, for what it's worth, the Richard Brothers literature I have lists standard equipment for a Briarean that includes a Baumgardner cot bar and cot. Of course you could order whatever you wanted, too. I have a 70's Ferno cot and similar bar, so I hope they still fit the old mounting holes. (Anyone have a spare loop pull-handle for a Model 30?)

Back