rear compartment floor preference

When I worked at Baue Funeral Homes in St. Charles MO, all of the coaches had carpeted rear sections (Superior Crown Sovereigns), every SCI car I've seen since the 80s has had a hard, woodgrain surface. The S&Ss at my current employment are woodgrain.

Why would someone prefer carpet over a hard surface? I have seen enough water spillage from floral arrangements to make me think that carpet is a bad idea.

the only reason I could think the manufactures put carpet in the load floor was it was cheaper then other flooring. the only reason I can think that a man would have that in his fleet is it was all he was being offered.

I prefer the carpeted table in a hearse, (only a few of mine had it), some type of laminate on a combo or ambulance. I like the look.

Just a matter of personal preference. You could get whatever you wanted to order. The majority of the 3-way tables that I have seen seem to have been the Formica type stuff. My 3-way table has the original carpeting. The same seems to hold true for the end-loaders, however Carl Woerner tells me that it was a regional thing.

I have the original plywood floor in my '54 Pontiac. I don't know if it was supposed to have a covering on it. Its bare now with no little bits of carpeting or any type of fabric at the edges (which would have made me think any floor covering was torn out)
All I have are a bunch of stains.. :rolleyes:

I have the original plywood floor in my '54 Pontiac. I don't know if it was supposed to have a covering on it. Its bare now with no little bits of carpeting or any type of fabric at the edges (which would have made me think any floor covering was torn out)
All I have are a bunch of stains.. :rolleyes:

It would have had some type of covering on it, there is no way they would leave it bare plywood when new. The stains are probably from the glue to adhere the carpet or vinyl/linoleum to the wood.

I prefer the carpeted table in a hearse, (only a few of mine had it), some type of laminate on a combo or ambulance. I like the look.

Just to add to this post the coaches Ive had with the carpeted table. 1949 Eureka Cadillac Chieftain landau combo, 1949 S&S Cadillac Knickerbocker combo, 1960 Superior Cadillac Crown Royale 3 way (carpet mound, laminate table), 1969 Miller-Meteor Cadillac Traditional, 1981 S&S Cadillac Victoria, 1982 Eureka Cadillac Concours.

Back