Fuel tank sending unit

Between sitting for 18 years and being damaged in the process of being pulled out of a pasture with a chain around the crossmember/tank support, I replaced the fuel tank in my 1962 Superior Cadillac with one from a late model Dodge Caravan. (It actually fits suprising well...the strap "grooves" line up, but the filler inlet is off by two inches)
Of course, I have no way to tell fuel level. I have found new sending units for sale. I can probably make one fit this tank. Regardless of original equipment or aftermarket, the unit would need to be calibrated anyway, am I correct?

The CC sending unit is around $160, the standard car unit is around $80. My guess is they both mount in the center of the top of the tank. The 1962 service manual has me reference the 1960 manual for anything in/on the dash/instrument cluster. (i.e. fuel gauge)

So I guess my question is: Has anyone else tried this?

You can also get a universal one from J.C. Whitney for alot cheaper, you just have to follow the instructions on how to set it up for your tank depth. I have done this before with no problems.

don't make this a difficult thing use the one from the tank you got. pictures we need pictures. all the sending unit is, is a resistor that goes to ground. as the resistance gets higher the gauge reads fuller. now there are some differences in the Ohm reading of the winding. that may or may not let the gauge read higher or lower then the level in the tank. but none of them ever read accurate anyway. the car would have had the standard 58 gas tank in it and that sending unit would be the correct one. they can be had for 89 bucks

make sure you get the correct ohms for the sending unit. I think mine for a 48 chevy 6 cylinder is 33ohms. If you get the wrong ohms, it won't read correct.

Back