It Is Never Easy!

Bill Marcy

PCS Member
As some of you may know, I have been trying to sell the 1970 Superior, while describing all of its flaws to potential buyers. Last week, I had a local car enthusiast come see and check out the 1970 and I even made him look at the damage on the frame. So, we agreed on a price, he gave me a deposit and we would finish the transaction today. So today, we made arrangements to drop the ambulance off at his house. We are all set to go, the car started right up, began to sputter and then stalled and would not start again. Out of gas? Gauge says 3/4 of a tank, but we will try putting gas in. Nope, that wasn't it. Then we noticed gasoline all around the carburetor. I offered the man his deposit back, but he said he wants the car. So, now I have to decide where to send it and hope they get it fixed right. Like I said, it is never easy.

In the Recommended Vendors forum, we have a number of highly recommended vendors for carburetor rebuilding. If you are looking for someone fast, and close by, consider Custom Rebuilt Carburetors LLC

Custom Rebuilt Carburetors LLC.
Philip Cancilla, Owner
200A Wood Avenue
Middlesex, NJ 08846
Phone:732-356-4333
Fax:732-356-0342
http://customrebuiltcarbs.com/index.shtml

Sounds like the needle valve stuck open. That causes the bowl to over fill a d floods the car out Sitting problems. A rap on the carb will usually take care of it. Keep some sea foam in it if its going to sit. I had a Olds that would do that every time I started it till I learned the sea foam trick.

a little sea foam and drive it. you don't have to pound on the carb as Pet said a light rap will get the check ball and spring moving again and the float loosened up what ever stuck. that will let the needle valve seat and it will stop flooding out. then drive it some. but if you have one that you leave sitting a lot keep some in the tank before you shut if off the last time

Thanks guys! She is on the road again, although I may have lost my buyer, I am not sure. He has 200 reasons to come back and let me know, I imagine he will just take his deposit back and that is okay.

He he got that upset one that small a thing then he shouldn't get a old car. Cause there's going to be more.

Then he has 18 to get upset over and is about to add another. Hope you make the sale. Just sold a 2015 Taurus to a Pa. Constable (Warrant server Prisoner Transporter) like your guy upset cops pulled lights cage etc. when car traded. We gave him a used cage from stock and off to the upfitter he went to spend another $1800.00 for lights push bar etc. Oh yeah its the fifth car he has bought here over the years. So you do what you have to to make the customer happy so he returns.

Thanks guys! She is on the road again, although I may have lost my buyer, I am not sure. He has 200 reasons to come back and let me know, I imagine he will just take his deposit back and that is okay.

What did you do to get it running again?

Don't forget the drive it. Put 10-15 miles or so on it to let the moving gas and additive a chance to clean out the varnish. Which was the problem.

Back